Move light switch and add a new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice really - we're partitioning off a section of our existing utility to create a small inner lobby with larder, and then a smaller utility room. The partition build is no problem, the only slight difficulty for me is that the light switch for the utility room will be in the lobby area, and on the opposing wall. As it stands, the lobby would therefore have no light, which is pointless. So, I want to:

a) add a new light into the lobby area, turned on by existing switch
b) add a new light switch and light for the existing ceiling hole in the utility room.

I don't want them running off the same switch and want them to be independent. My primary thoughts were as follows:

a) drill a hole in the lobby ceiling where I want the new lobby light
b) run the cabling for the existing light switch and utility light in through this hole, so the existing switch does not move, is unaffected, and the lobby light can be installed on existing cabling.
c) Add a new light switch and circuit to run through the now empty ceiling hole in the utility room, and add the switch to the partition wall.

Does this sound like the right approach/easiest approach?

The utility is in a single storey extension so any access from above needs to be from the tiled roof.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sponsored Links
So what you want is to fit a new light in the lobby, this would then be operated from the same switching point as the one for the utilities but a two gang switch operating each light independently?
You need to take supply from the light fitting of the utility, to the new fitting in lobby (this is called a loop in/out method). Then run switch cable/wires from the lobby light to the switch, change the single gang switch to a two gang switch.
You can find some circuit diagrams in wiki.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sounds okay to me assuming the existing cables are long enough.
I also assume that you will take the power for the new smaller utility room light from the existing ceiling rose now reposition in the lobby.

Just remember to mark, photograph or do whatever you need to do to make sure that you know where each cable is positioned in the old/new ceiling rose.

If you are unsure about how to wire the lighting circuit check out lighting on the Wiki section.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Thanks both,

I hadn't actually planned on using a two gang switch, but rather have two independent switches - one on the existing stone wall (e.g. the existing switch which is on the load bearing wall) and then add a second, new switch, to the partition wall I am putting up, so the two switches are entirely separate - one operates the utility light, one the lobby light - I have not decided if I want the light switch for the utility light outside the room, by the door (e.g. as you might have for a bathroom/shower room), or inside the room.

Although, if others think a two gang switch is easiest, this is the way I will go for convenience :) ??

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
Makes no difference - you need cables running between the lights and the switches, whether the switches are in different places, next to each other, or combined onto one face plate.

Once you know how lighting circuits work it'll become clear, and you can do whatever works best for you.

Thanks - I understand how the circuits work, just hadn't really considered a two gang switch which might be easier as no additional switch is then required and would save a bit of time.

Will give it a go at the weekend :)

Thanks all :)

As BAS said it doesn't really matter providing the switch is suitably placed for it's functional operation. There will not be much more work to be done to install a second one gang switch, you will still need to route the cable.
If the partition wall is not in place it will be a little easier to install cable at first fix and install a back box for the switch in a suitable/logical/practical location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back