Change single to a double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to wire a new light to my big cupboard next to my utility room. There is an existing single light switch supply for the utility room. I can run cable from the new light to the single switch supply of the utility room and change the single switch to a double. I have bought a double switch which on the back of the switches are two connections both configured, L1 L2 top - com at the bottom.
The wiring to the single switch is red ( top of switch connection, its old ) and black wired in at the bottom of the light switch. Earth connection is to the box. Can the wiring from my new cupboard light and my existing wiring for my utility room both be wired to this double switch ? if so what wires need to be connected to which terminals.

Or should I leave it for the proffessionals ?

Many thanks for any help.

Rich

Sponsored Links
no you have no neutral at that switch. The feed to the new light needs to be taken from another light.

On the new switch, one wire goes to COM, one wire goes to L1 or L2. It matters not which way around they are connected. If the switch operates upside down, reverse L1 and L2.

See the wiki to find out how your switch is wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back