External Light From Indoor Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit an external light adjacent to an indoor light switch to utility.

The utility is double switched - one by internal door and one by external door - hence its this switch I am trying to connect to.

The existing switch has 3 wires connected to Com L1 and L2

Reading up on here it would appear that there is no neutral?

Can I wire this up so it comes on with internal utility light instead using the wires I have?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Reading up on here it would appear that there is no neutral?

Can I wire this up so it comes on with internal utility light instead using the wires I have?
Only from the light position, yes, but then - with neutral, you would be able to wire it however you want.

Cheers for reply

But there is no way I can do it from the switch?

Obviously the wires at the light itself cant be accessed very easily.

Sponsored Links
If there is a neutral at the switch, it is normally in a connector block tucked in the back box. It won't be connected directly to the switch.

You will probably have to consider getting the neutral from another part of the same lighting circuit.

Alternatively, get the live AND neutral AND earth from another circuit, perhaps from a socket circuit via a fused spur unit.

Yeah deffinately no neutral.

There is a socket below the utility units - I will take the feed from that - means taking some tiles off to run cable but hey.

Link not working Martin. The light is at back of the house and just allows us to put stuff in the bin at night :)

If you come from the socket, be sure to get the live from there as well as the neutral. Same with the earth.

You say this socket is below some utility units. Be certain the socket is not controlled by a local isolator switch - as some sockets for appliances can be for ease of isolation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back