Ceiling light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing another recent topic on ceiling rose wiring...
I went out on Thursday to a new ceiling, plasterer had revoved old light & lathe and plaster ceiling, replaced with PB and skimmed and had been painted bright yellow, think Hi Viz vest yellow.

Customer, very foreign, had fitted new light & couldn't make it work properly. With language difficulty I think I gleaned he was an electrician 'back home' and accustomed to only 2 wires for a light. He had looked on internet and wired the 3 T&E into supplied choc block as loopin and tried different combinations of blacks.

It didn't take me long to establish the live supply and the switch and wired as such. The third cable has some resistance across red and black, typical of a switched on light on the loop out. Basically I returned it to similar to how I found it.

At that point the light in the lobby was permanently on and the light in the adjacent room would only work with this one switched on.

I asked if he took pictures or noted how it was wired, he found this envelope in the bin:
1666531347916.png

I read that as 9 circles (terminals?) and added red and black as he explained. Without the old fitting it meant nothing to me.

He didn't want me to open the switch (circled in green) as freshly decorated and switch basically painted over and the only part I couldn't access.
Switch in adjacent room and lobby wired in T&E but only one core in each (ie used as single &E),

That area buzzed out as shown below.
Lobby switch (circled green) heavily blackened and short circuit although feels like operating OK.
I imagine that the switch cable 'A' at some time had the black connected to the neutral during his experimenting and lobby switch welded closed when operated.
1666569279470.png

I imagine wire 'D' was not connected to anything before but I moved wire 'C' to the spare contact in the rose rather than trying to cram it into the limited space of the light fitting.
Changing the damaged switch and flipping wires 'A&B' completed it.

Not that difficult to resolve but I imagine it would have been difficult to get to the bottom of in a forum.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back