Building regulations part P (?) moving light switches

30 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I want to convert a large double living room into two rooms using light weight demoutable partitioning. The work is not a material and it is not necessary to apply for building regulation approval to partition the room. If however I need to wire up a new circuit, I will be required to send a building notice.

The mains sockets are in the right places.
Two light fittings one in each half of the room in the right place.
A dual gang switch at the entrance of the room ( operate independently).

If I create two rooms, the current switch will be in the small hallway created in the process of partitioning.

I will need two separate switches at the entrance to each room.

It is possible to wire up new switches from where the existing dual gang switch is postioned to the entrance of each room without wiring new circuit?

Another point - it would be nice to install a wall light in the small hallway (but not vital). Can this be done using existing circuit ?
Sponsored Links
Note, I do not intend to do the work myself as a DIY project. I do however want to avoid full buildings notice if possible.

If I could add a picture of the room, you would see how simple the work is.

I just want to know in advance, if I can do the electrical bit without involving the council - They are a bit strange!

A builder friend offered to help me. He is also an electrictian but not qualified in this country. He suggested I find out about regulations that probably I need a qualified person to do the wiring part or to inspect it.

I just want to know in advance if it can be done and what my obligations are if any if it can.
A new circuit has to be wired from the consumer unit. If you only extend the eexisting ring and/or lighting circuits, you don't have to notify. (Provided the wiring is not in a bathroom or kitchen).
Sponsored Links
What you should do is the following (and apologies in advance if any of it makes you think of grandmothers and sucking... ;) )

1) Familiarise yourself with the way circuits are usually wired in order to achieve the desired results. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do anything novel or unusual, as those with good memories can testify, but departing from the norm must produce new or improved benefits.

2) Familiarise yourself with the applicable Wiring Regulations so that you do things properly.

Functionality and best practice must not be compromised to avoid notification. If the best solution is notifiable, then so be it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local