adding a pir detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help please. I have a pir in a shower block for the lights, there is a blind spot and I need to fit an extra pir to cover. I've got two neutral wires attached to the existing pir into one connection and two lives in seperate conections and a seperate earth.

Can anyone advise how to cut into this and extend so that the lights will work if either pir detects.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
With identical wiring. IE you need a 3 core and earth between the two PIRs and replicate the connections.

Hi, can anyone help please. I have a pir in a shower block for the lights, there is a blind spot and I need to fit an extra pir to cover. I've got two neutral wires attached to the existing pir into one connection and two lives in seperate conections and a seperate earth.

Can anyone advise how to cut into this and extend so that the lights will work if either pir detects.
Never usued a PIR but i'm guessing the neutral is looped in at the fitting, where you will also have a live feed supplying it and a switched live onto the light.

EDIT: As Steve suggests. :oops:

I expect most PIRs have neutral connection, as most use a pair of contacts, rather than solid state circuitry (they could be used to switch fluorescent loads which wouldnt like electronic control etc)

Sponsored Links
You can do it like this
PIR2.gif

You could loop in and out of as many PIRs and lights as you wish in theory with that design TTC. The only constraint is the individual PIR rating - each PIR must be rated for the entire load connected.

And what's great is that it needs no connection to a supply!

Think of the money savings!!

:LOL:

Ahh, but my diagram is in response to the OP's requirement to ADD a PIR to an existing one. I'm assuming that the existing one already has a supply.........

I have another diagram that has a supply, and an over-ride switch on it. But I didn't want to confuse things more than they probably will be as they usually are around here.... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back