Adding a Plug Socket in the Attic

I am getting a bit confused as to why it is such an issue someone said I have a 32RCBO and a 16RCBO for my 2 socket sets? I am assuming the one labeled 'sockets' is my bungalow ring sockets? and the one labeled garage sockets is for the 3 sockets in my garage? Does this have a big impact?

We have a member on here who likes an argument.

I think I can test it is a ring by turning off the MCB for the SOCKETS and using a multimeter to check for continuity between the 2 RED positive cables at a socket?

They are NOT positives, they are lives. Only DC has positives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell the original statement by 333rockey333
You have a 16 amp RCBO and a 32 amp RCBO labelled as sockets
is true in that I have two RCBO's for my 2 socket sets? (Sockets and GARAGE SOCKETS
It is true.

You, and everybody else, can see that you have two RCBOs labelled as sockets.

Sponsored Links
Any indication of how expensive to add the RCD to my existing 60Amp Shower MCB?

It looked like 40 amp to me :)

The main thing, before you poke about, is do not ASSUME all your sockets in your bungalow are on that 1 Rcbo labelled sockets, sods law says the one socket you open could well be fed from the Rcbo labelled GARAGE sockets.

Safest and only way is always safe isolation, but a rough quide is to try a table lamp in each socket if only to verify the Rcbo

All - Stop squabbling. Personal comments will get you banned.

Ignoring the electrical issues which I think have been done to death, I would not recommend putting electronic equipment in the attic if you can avoid it. A network switch and TV distribution amplifier are both cheap and elecronically simple - so they are more likely to survive the high temperatures in summer and are cheap and easy to replace if they do fail.
Your router is a different matter - these "small computers" are usually designed down to a price (the ISP is going to "give away" lots of them so they will want to shave every penny they can), and are far more likely to give up when the attic gets hot in summer. For a while, due to cabling and space constraints, I had to have a server in my attic - it shut down several times in summer, and needed a new PSU which was probably (at least in part) a result of running at high temperatures.

SimonH2 raises a valid point about overheating.
I have a BT modem (notorious overheaters) and a router in my loft and I share those concerns. However they've been working there 6 years without issue.
You might be lucky, or you might not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back