Adding a Plug Socket in the Attic

Thanks for that, so to clarify I have 2 RCBO's (Sockets and Garage Sockets), identified as they have the black switches towards the top? Seems strange that despite being a mix or a RCD and a MCB it uses only 1 slot yet a singular RCD takes up 2? Have I misunderstood something here?

RCDs in the consumer unit usually cover multiple circuits, are usually rated at > 63A, and break both live and neutral. As Winston says, they are usually 'double width' taking up 2 slots.
You are right the RCBOs have the little black test buttons; they are physically larger than MCBs despite only taking one slot, but typically they only isolate the live.

Sponsored Links
You have a 16 amp RCBO and a 32 amp RCBO labelled as sockets
No he doesn't. The 16 amp RCBO is labelled "GARAGE sockets."

upload_2018-1-4_12-35-23.png

Can you see the two RCBOs labelled as sockets now?

Last edited by a moderator:
NO. NO. NO. The 16 amp one is labelled "GARAGE sockets". It is actually labelled "GARAGE", someone has added the word sockets underneath.

Sponsored Links
The doorbell likely has or did have a transformer near the fusebox to save on batteries, it was often on its own circuit so you could turn it off for peace..

The Immersion is only 3kw aprox 13 amps so on a 16 Amp trip
The shower could be 6Kw minimum, aprox 26 amps or more, so on a bigger trip hence your 40 amp, the cabling will be larger to allow this.

As for the board i think its a Memsheild 2 board, i think the Rcd pod clips on your exixting Mcb, thus making it a Rcbo and could be expensive, our resident MEM expert JohnD will know :)

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Yea Eaton MR30 RCBO pod - as above but they’re EXPENSIVE. If you just want to fit one RCBO then it’s not too bad but any more and you may as well consider changing the board.

MEMshield 3 do not fit, they changed the bus bar arrangement. Think I might have a photo

The junction box to me looks like lighting with a three core 1.5mm for two way switching and 1mm T&E. Very difficult to tell though.

Looking at the board it looks like the lighting circuits all go up with a Shower cable and the sockets head off to the right of the board; one ring final and a radial (that could serve the garage) with Earth bonding towards the gas as it looks like a Gas isolator.

Worth Mechanically Testing the RCBOs if you're ok to have the power turn off

Imagine a CU with MCBs labelled

• Kitchen Sockets
  • Downstairs Sockets
  • Upstairs Sockets
  • Utility Room Sockets
  • Garage Sockets
  • Shed Sockets
  • Garden Sockets

People *********** would say that there were 7 breakers labelled as sockets

I am getting a bit confused as to why it is such an issue someone said I have a 32RCBO and a 16RCBO for my 2 socket sets? I am assuming the one labeled 'sockets' is my bungalow ring sockets? and the one labeled garage sockets is for the 3 sockets in my garage? Does this have a big impact?

Sorry just a bit lost as to why this has caused an argument, does this imply something regarding my main ring?

As far as I can tell the original statement by 333rockey333
You have a 16 amp RCBO and a 32 amp RCBO labelled as sockets
is true in that I have two RCBO's for my 2 socket sets? (Sockets and GARAGE SOCKETS

I checked yesterday and my wall sockets do have 2 x TandE cables coming down from above. I will dig about a bit more this weekend. I think I can test it is a ring by turning off the MCB for the SOCKETS and using a multimeter to check for continuity between the 2 RED positive cables at a socket?

Yea Eaton MR30 RCBO pod - as above but they’re EXPENSIVE. If you just want to fit one RCBO then it’s not too bad but any more and you may as well consider changing the board.

MEMshield 3 do not fit, they changed the bus bar arrangement. Think I might have a photo

Any indication of how expensive to add the RCD to my existing 60Amp Shower MCB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back