Adding a pump to indirect immersion tank coil with vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi First time here please help.
we have an old simple oil fired CH/HW system. I have uploaded a bad drawing of what we have. Originally the indirect cylinder was gravity fed, I would like to pump it for improved efficiency. My issues are where the 2nd pump should be put for HW.I am worried about pumping out of the vent or sucking in air from the vent. I would like the pump to go next to the boiler as we don't have any room in the airing cupboard. I have a timer with switched HW out and Switched CH out and a relay that if either of the outputs are on the boiler will be powered and would like to use these outputs to control the pumps.
Money is an issue as usual ! is there a way I could achieve this simply? I have a spare pump, and being in a hard water area don't really want to fit powered valves unless really needed. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
WELL ID LIKE TO SAY THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!!!

For what it's worth. You would be better off converting to a sealed system with an s plan or y plan. So you would just need one pump for both ch and hw.

But you would then probably not have enough spare money to get some new crayons so you will have to weigh up the pros and cons yourself ;)

It can be done. I did it to improve the recovery time of the HW cylinder.

Wholesale conversion and ripping out of the existing plumbing was not an option. I placed the pump on the return to the boiler near the boiler to reduce the chance of pumping over. There was already a motorised valve and cylinder stat to control the HW temp. A bit of thought with the wiring via the aux switch on the valve and it worked well.

(Many on this forum have little imagination when it comes to innovation and novel solutions to problems. :rolleyes: )

There was already a motorised valve and cylinder stat to control the HW temp. A bit of thought with the wiring via the aux switch on the valve and it worked well.

(Many on this forum have little imagination when it comes to innovation and novel solutions to problems. :rolleyes: )

Fair point. But looking at the supplied drawing, the op has neither a motorised valve or a cylinder stat.

I have imagination ;) trust me! But with a system like the op has scrawled, it would surely be beneficial and most cost efficient (in the long run anyway) to convert it to a fully pumped sealed system.

We can only give advice on the information that is given in the first place afterall!

Here's a diagram for you showing two pumps as requested. Note that the vent pipe from the boiler must be free of obstructions (pump valves etc.) to allow the free expansion of the water.

It's from another thread from this forum. You can find it by clicking here. You will often find an answer to your questions by searching earlier posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back