Adding a Rad right next to another. Can I do it in Series??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've extended the Bathroom. Between the old & new part there is a Pier. I want to add another Rad, which will be side by side with the first, just separated by this pier. Only 2 feet apart (or 4 feet to centres).

Question is, can I plumb the new Rad in Series with the 1st, IE take the return from Rad 1 into Flow of Rad 2, then return from Rad 2 ?

Would this be any different from a Big radiator???

I can get the floorboards up & take a new feed off if I have to, but this would be a lot easier, as long as it's OK.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would act like 1 big rad, probably need to rebalance the system.

If the rads are smaller, say less than a metre long, then it will not be too bad if the pipework is in 15 mm.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I can get the floorboards up & take a new feed off if I have to, but this would be a lot easier, as long as it's OK.
Connecting the two rads in series might be easier - i.e lazier; but connecting in parallel in the correct thing to do. In any case balancing rads in series will be difficult as the return temperature of the first is the flow temp of the second, so neither rad will produce their advertised output.

Thanks chaps

Just taking a closer look, putting in T's for the new Rad might be tricky.

The existing Rad is T'd off 22mm with unequal T's (22mm through with 15mm coming off) this is then immediately reduced to 8mm. If I sweat out the 8mm reducer & branch off in 15mm instead, can I then run that 15mm to Rad 2, taking off 8mm T's to Rad one???

Will that do?

I would cut just before 15mm - 8mm reducer, then run everything in 15mm.

Buy a new 15mm TRV & Lockshield for the original rad and remove the 8mm one.

If the rads are smaller, say less than a metre long, then it will not be too bad if the pipework is in 15 mm.Tony

Funny how the important details seem to get left off!

However, I somehow guessed there might be a problem!

Never put rads in series if there is any 8 mm tube!

Its not a very good idea if its 10 mm either!

Tony

Sorry guys, I must correct myself. It is 10mm, NOT 8mm

So can I 'T' into the 10mm or should I make new branches off the 22mm?

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back