Adding A Radiator To An Existing Gas Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a first floor maisonette and have a radiator at the top of the stairs.

I would like to connect a radiator to the existing rad at the top of the stairs and run the pipework down the stairs to a new rad in the porch area as it is like a fridge down there.

My question to you all is: How easy is this to do, and would I need to upgrade my pump system to compensate for the extra distance of flow ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi Buck,

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that a pump change isn't required, I would be also grateful if someone could give my an idea of how to go about this.

Many thanks again

Ian

Sponsored Links
1) drain system
2) fit a tee in each pipe near existing rad
3) fit short piece of pipe with iso valve to spare port of tees
4) you can now refill system (iso valves off)
5) extend pipes, fit rad, ......

Hi Tryitandsee

Many thanks for your input, I do have an electric plug in thermostatic radiator that I have been using down there, but I thought it might work out cheaper in the long run to attach a rad to the existing heating system.

I could be wrong though

Ian

Unless you actually use the downstairs hall area ....I wouldn`t bother ..in fact I would buy a door curtain and a wire less entry phone so you can shut the cold and unwanted callers out ...Cheaply :idea:

Hi Nige F

Thanks for the good idea, but this is our main entry & exit hall for the property and during the winter it really does get freezing down there.

I know the outlay initially for the plumbing parts would be an inconvenience, but surely in the long run they would pay for themselves with the amount of electric I would save by not using the electric rad

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back