Adding a radiator, where to cut the pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Built a conservatory last year & already have a towel type radiator to go in there, but need some advice on how to plumb it in. I suspect it is like this:

413534516.jpg

There is obviously a wall between the two I will need to drill through & a height difference to take into account but I can handle all of that.

Existing rad in the kitchen:

413534519.jpg

413534522.jpg

413534521.jpg

Wall that I will mount the new radiator on:

413534520.jpg

Cheers all,

Russ

Sponsored Links
1. Genuine conservatory (glass roof, mostly glass walls) should be on a separate zone from rest of property. This would require going plumbing back to pump with new motorised valve and new pipes to conservatory.
2. Tee'ing off an existing radiator, your connections per diagram are correct.
3. There is no guarantee that the conservatory radiator will heat up satisfactorily or at all. Depends on the length of 15mm pipe work back to the 22m "spine". There is a limit to how much heat you can get down any size pipework, and for 15mm its about 10Kw, heavily dependent on speed of flow and temperature drop across radiators.

As I understand it, and I'll happily stand corrected, most conservatory structures should not, under building regs, have a radiator connected in to the main house system.

That said, many do anyway!

However If you did install one you'd be better off with a taller, vertical column radiator rather than a towel type of low ladder arrangement.
Your diagram of the plumbing arrangements is correct in theory, but there might in this situation be an argument for plumbing the conservatory radiator "in series" after this one (a one-pipe arrangement) so that the radiator inside the house gets the hottest water first?

Sponsored Links
That does appear suitable.

Dependent on a number of factors, including the construction of the conservatory and the output of the system (and limitations of supply pipework as mentioned above), you'll never be able to "comfort heat" such a structure in the winter - the most you can likely expect is to keep the damp off!

As I understand it, and I'll happily stand corrected, most conservatory structures should not, under building regs, have a radiator connected in to the main house system.

However If you did install one you'd be better off with a taller, vertical column radiator rather than a towel type of low ladder arrangement.
Your diagram of the plumbing arrangements is correct in theory, but there might in this situation be an argument for plumbing the conservatory radiator "in series" after this one (a one-pipe arrangement) so that the radiator inside the house gets the hottest water first?

WTF do you mean ??

That does appear suitable.

Dependent on a number of factors, including the construction of the conservatory and the output of the system (and limitations of supply pipework as mentioned above), you'll never be able to "comfort heat" such a structure in the winter - the most you can likely expect is to keep the damp off!

Got it in one, that's exactly what we want to do as we had a problem with damp last year.

Maybe consider moving your kitchen rad up a few inches to provide more room to tee into the pipework.

:idea:Does your new vertical rad come with fitting instructions ? re pipe connections and is it marked TOP or similar,many people fit these upside down.:LOL:

At least the radiator looks good eh !!!o_O
as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike ;)

would love for you to show these regs :confused:o_O

At least the radiator looks good eh !!!o_O
as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike ;)

would love for you to show these regs :confused:o_O

If you mean the regs for space heating in a conservatory it actually correct that it shouldn't be linked with the main heating system for the house and should be either on its own designated zone or a complete stand alone system eg electric heater etc etc.

I'll dig it out when I get a bit of free time later Paul.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back