Adding a Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some quick advice on what the best way to add a radiator is and if anyone can see any problems.

A brief description of our current system:

We have an oldish (20+ years I would have thought) gloworm boiler in the downstairs toilet, which is located at the back of the garage. We then have the cylinder etc in the airing cupboard (located upstairs in the middle of the house). We have 8 radiators throughout the house. The house is a 4 bedroom detached house.

I would like to add an extra radiator at the moment and possibly another one in the future. The one I would like to add at the moment would go in the downstairs toilet - which currently has no heating other than the fact the boiler is in there.

My original thought was that it would be simple to just T off the flow or return pipe, down to the rad and back up again.

My doubts were that:

I'm sure I'd read about certain things needing to be the last thing in the loop etc.

Would the system be OK to supply another radiator - it would just be a small one or a towel style radiator.

If I needed to add the other one in the future as well it would probably be just on the other side of the wall to where this one is going.

Any advice, or possible pitfalls?

Sponsored Links
Thinking out loud, I guess I would need to tee after the zone valve?

It's going to be a long way back though to go from any of the other rads.

Any other thoughts - or would I be better forgetting the ch idea and putting a wall mounter oil filled electric heater in?

If it is only a small rad then I would take the feeds off an existing radiator if nearby otherwise break into the F and R and feed it that way. :D

Sponsored Links
Nearest Rad would be about 7-8m away, flow and return pipes are about 1m above.

So would the use of the flow and return be OK for a small rad? Wouldn't it heat all the time even with just hot water on? As it would be the wrong side of the zone valve.

It wouldn't matter too much if it did heat all the time as it would have a TRV on and would be set quite low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back