Adding a room thermostat to CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a worcester dt20 programmer on the greenstar heatslave boiler but there is no sign of a thermostat in the house. I've not been bothered until now, just relied on programmer for settings, but I think I would like a thermostat with programming facilities in the house (the boiler is external).

I can't for the life of me find where the original thermostat was mounted. Since the dt20 is not RF any thermostat must have been hardwired (I assume), but there is nothing to suggest a location other than a three pin socket mounted close to the kitchen ceiling. I have sometimes wondered why there is a three pin socket up there, so maybe it once had a thermostat in it.
Most thermostats I have looked at though seem to be battery operated.
Any thoughts and recommendations for thermostat? If there is third party available I am good with that.

Sponsored Links
Have you located the wiring centre. You can then see if a thermostat has been wired, won’t help you to locate the actual thermostat but will tell you where to connect a new one.

Sponsored Links
Have you located the wiring centre. You can then see if a thermostat has been wired, won’t help you to locate the actual thermostat but will tell you where to connect a new one.
No. I've looked everywhere too. I suppose that means no thermostat in the first place.
All I have is that mains socket near the ceiling (inches from the ceiling) in the kitchen, which has no practical function that I can see.
I wondered if it was on the circuit supplying electricity to the boiler and whether there was a thermostat that plugged in and used the circuit to control the boiler. Only thing I can think of.

No. I've looked everywhere too. I suppose that means no thermostat in the first place.
All I have is that mains socket near the ceiling (inches from the ceiling) in the kitchen, which has no practical function that I can see.
I wondered if it was on the circuit supplying electricity to the boiler and whether there was a thermostat that plugged in and used the circuit to control the boiler. Only thing I can think of.

Is it a combi boiler?

So, the wiring will be pretty simple. No motorised valves or cylinder stat. That should help with the new one.

EDIT: does the programmer wire directly into the boiler?

EDIT2: It looks like it's mounted on the boiler itself?

EDIT3: Unless you have more than one heating zone? Then there will be motorised valves.

Last edited:
There are a few eccentric people who claim that a room thermostat is not necessary.

So, the wiring will be pretty simple. No motorised valves or cylinder stat. That should help with the new one.

EDIT: does the programmer wire directly into the boiler?

EDIT2: It looks like it's mounted on the boiler itself?

EDIT3: Unless you have more than one heating zone? Then there will be motorised valves.
The programmer fits into a space on the boiler itself, on a pull out draw. There are two models, one that I have and a radio frequency model which is identical apart from the rf bit.

If I had that it would be easy because I could just pair a new room thermostat with no need for wiring, but it is the other one.

but there is nothing to suggest a location other than a three pin socket mounted close to the kitchen ceiling.

That is very unlikely to have anything to do with a thermostat, or your heating system. Best guess would be power for perhaps an electric kitchen wall clock.

There are a few eccentric people who claim that a room thermostat is not necessary.

I could understand that, just, if it wasn't for the fact that on this boiler you have to remove screws to drop the panel to get access to the pull out draw where the programmer is.

I want something in the room which will allow me to adjust settings instead of having to faff with that, and it is hard to believe whoever had the boiler installed would not also have wanted that.

That is very unlikely to have anything to do with a thermostat, or your heating system. Best guess would be power for perhaps an electric kitchen wall clock.
Ok, thanks. That's pretty much what I expected but it is useful to rule it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back