Adding a small consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
replacing a broken socket there is stuff on here talking about rewires in shops putting in three phase supplies full new builds etc do you not agree that is a little bit differenet than changing a broken socket and if instead of beng so wrapped up in loving this site you would see why I and others have a tad of a problem with it

Sponsored Links
OH and THE LAW has is changing or havet you noticed

No Sidmus we have not noticed.

Perhaps if you have you could provide us with this information, perhaps a link to the relevant legislation or government website with this breaking news to backup your statement.

It was a statement wasn't it?

or are you just going to try & shout people down & never answer a simple question?

is it FACT or FICTION?
Myself I think your deluding yourself & misinterpreting something, so fi you can prove that as a DIYr I should not do ANY electrical work then by all means I'll give up & call the experts in.

Go on, its fiction isn't it, you cannot backup your statement can you?
Time I went back to replacing my light switches just so I can upset you :D

and that mattylad is exactly why you are a DIYer isnt it mate

and as I have said our gripe is about people informing people on a potentially dangerous job you really should keep stum if you cant keep up
and if you think I care about a DIYer changing a light switch then you seriously aint listening so please keep your useless un educated jump on the band wagon opinions to your self

Sponsored Links
As for me not answering questions I think you will find that the most important questions being asked are the ones I am asking for instance why are there competent persons schemes why arent people willing to provide proof of knowledge and take responsibility why is there a trade standard why are there training and apprentiships why is there acts of parliment on the subject to name but a few and I had NO answers to any of them have you but it is quite worrying that you have spent some time on this site and seem to think you are some kind of authority on a subject you have NO proven knowledge or experience in

why are there competent persons schemes

To enable electrical contractors who carry out notifiable electrical work on a regular basis to prove their competence and cut down on the hassle and expense of getting the BCO involved.

why arent people willing to provide proof of knowledge and take responsibility

I can't speak for others, but if someone who I gave advice to was to ask me privately to provide them with proof of knowledge then I would do so - assuming they didn't mind waiting - I don't come on here to offer advice for free to have my knowledge constantly questioned. I know that the advice I offer, if acted upon will not put people in direct danger. E.g I wouldn't tell someone to try working without isolating the power, nor would I suggest someone to clip off the earth cable where it isn't needed etc. If my advice isn't acted upon in it's entirety, why should I be held accountable?

why is there a trade standard

What trade standard would that be exactly? But I would hazzard a guess that if someone is carrying out work as a trade, then its reasonable to expect them to be competent to do so. This does not apply to DIY'ers who are only working on their own property.

why are there training and apprentiships

As above, to carry out a trade you need knowledge above and beyond the standards required to do minor electrical work, and you can't always consult a forum when you get to a job and you realise you are out of your depth.

why is there acts of parliment on the subject

Part P only makes eletrical work a part of the building regs. It does not ban householders from doing the work, nor does it put limits on the extent of the work they can do. It also makes diyers accountable for the quality of the work they do within their own home. If the procedure is followed regarding notification and inspection/testing then sufficient advice can be gained and sufficient I&T can be done by a qualified person to guarantee that installations safety.

why are there competent persons schemes

To enable electrical contractors who carry out notifiable electrical work on a regular basis to prove their competence and cut down on the hassle and expense of getting the BCO involved. to protect consumers against bad workmanship and the destruction of property

why arent people willing to provide proof of knowledge and take responsibility

I can't speak for others, but if someone who I gave advice to was to ask me privately to provide them with proof of knowledge then I would do so - assuming they didn't mind waiting - I don't come on here to offer advice for free to have my knowledge constantly questioned. I know that the advice I offer, if acted upon will not put people in direct danger. E.g I wouldn't tell someone to try working without isolating the power, nor would I suggest someone to clip off the earth cable where it isn't needed etc. If my advice isn't acted upon in it's entirety, why should I be held accountable? your threads are accessable to every one that comes here you can only ASSUME that the advice you give is carried out safely I see no safe issolation proceedures listed on ALL threads

why is there a trade standard

What trade standard would that be exactly? But I would hazzard a guess that if someone is carrying out work as a trade, then its reasonable to expect them to be competent to do so. This does not apply to DIY'ers who are only working on their own property.
trade standards meaning people are trained to a standard that is governed by the industry so as ALL work is carried out to a proffesional harmonized standard
why are there training and apprentiships

As above, to carry out a trade you need knowledge above and beyond the standards required to do minor electrical work, and you can't always consult a forum when you get to a job and you realise you are out of your depth.ther is information here regarding three phase installations is that a DIY job

why is there acts of parliment on the subject

Part P only makes eletrical work a part of the building regs. It does not ban householders from doing the work, nor does it put limits on the extent of the work they can do. It also makes diyers accountable for the quality of the work they do within their own home. If the procedure is followed regarding notification and inspection/testing then sufficient advice can be gained and sufficient I&T can be done by a qualified person to guarantee that installations safety.
who said it banned any one I am talking about the implications of providing how to do lists to people that may or may not be competent to carry it out

Sidmus - why have you previously offered advice to a diyer in this forum. Advice that was incomplete and misleading, luckily the diyer seemed to have more electrical sense than you.

Have a look - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=999944#999944

Or are you on some guiness book of records quest for the most posts in a week. :)
not if you read the hole thing and to suggest my suggestion was wrong you must be suggesting the person above was also wrong read it again but on saying that BAN

Sidmus - why have you previously offered advice to a diyer in this forum. Advice that was incomplete and misleading, luckily the diyer seemed to have more electrical sense than you.

Have a look - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=999944#999944

Or are you on some guiness book of records quest for the most posts in a week. :)
not if you read the hole thing and to suggest my suggestion was wrong you must be suggesting the person above was also wrong read it again but on saying that BAN

You don't like details do you.

BAS suggested a 4 gang grid - correct solution - and did not offer details of the bits to be fitted in the grid - so the response was complete.

However you suggested dp switches - which is an incomplete and misleading response. Lets hope the op realised he needed two switch and 2 fuse modules.

A good point there Holmslaw....

So Sidmus, you are giving help to DIY'ers without proving your competence. What if said DIY'er installed a couple of DP switches without the required overload protection for the cables he installed? Going by your logic you then become liable for his unsafe installation.

My response was based on BAS answer and as a follow up the reason why I put any kind of response at all was because it was the first time I had come here and ASSUMED as every one else ASSUMES that comes here that I was talking to knowlegable people who were in the trade BAS answer by your own standards was just as incomplete your go
A four gang grid the correct answer and I dont like details I think it would of been a lot more dangerous to leave the wires a daggling dont you :LOL:

I have no problems with unqualified member giving out advice.
If bad advice is given out it is usally picked up by at least one other member and commented on.

How long did it take IF me and BAS was wrong then

I don't think BAS was wrong to be honest. I don't think I was wrong either.
The OP was looking for a device which doesn't exist, I thought I answered that on my first line. In an attempt to be helpfull I added one way that it may be acheived and a common drawback.
Then BAS added another way.

No and niether do I think you [spark]or BAS was wrong my suggestion complimented yours and BAS but it does seem GaryMo and hole think we were all wrong no offence against you or BAS meant
I was merely pointing out that if either of them thought we were all wrong it took them along time to point it out
Like I said I am not doubting anyones competence just think it would be good to know whether the advice you are given here is sound and from a knowledgable and skilled person and the only proven method of that I know is qualification and trade tests

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back