Adding a socket at the consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I need to add a plug socket under the stairs were the fuse/consumer unit is.

Can I just spur off from the RCD for the ring main or do I have to do something different.

Sponsored Links
If the ring main live terminal in the consumer unit will take the extra wire go right ahead. The only time I ever had a problem was with a fuse carrier that had two rings, ie four wires, in it.

Given how close you are to all the necessary cables, why spur? Surely you can put the socket onto the ring?

ban-all-sheds said:
Given how close you are to all the necessary cables, why spur? Surely you can put the socket onto the ring?
Maybe not if, like here, understairs has been opened up and all cables are buried in the (existing) wall.

Sponsored Links
Sod's law is quite clear on this. No matter where you want your socket/light/bell transformer, the existing cables will be running off in the opposite direction. Been there, tried that, put a spur in.

Scoby_Beasley said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Maybe not if, like here, understairs has been opened up and all cables are buried in the (existing) wall.

And I expect the b*****ds that put the stuff in didn't leave any slack either!!

i hope that you mean mcb not rcd

to answer your question yes it is allowed to spur off a ring at the origin of the cuircuit.

Plug

He could have meant RCBO......in which case that would be fine.

indeed he could though its far more likely he meant mcb simply because rcbos are rare on domestic

and i think there aren't many people who would reffer to a rcbo as a rcd (even though it technically is one) unless they were completely ignorant about what mcbs and rcds where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back