Adding a vice to a workmate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a cheap B&D workmate pro and looked at making a few little tweaks to it . such as a shelf at the bottom.

Looked on YouTube and there's quite a few bits and pieces that could be modified to make it even more useful. However, in looking at those videos I saw a few people putting a removable vice on there and thought 'wow, great!'...only then to think, but the whole idea of the workmate is that it's a big vice already isn't it?

Am I missing something or would a removable vice be a useful addition on there? Has anyone here done that? And if so is worth the hassle (I do have a spare one sitting around, so, no outlay in £'s)

And while i am at it, has anyone done any other useful mods to a workmate?

Sponsored Links
I have used a small vice on a workmate
Holds small objects for filling cutting
Like bolts various bits and bobs

Difficult to hold a 6mm bolt in the workmate vice

Some small pieces of plastic to shape and get a 60 degree angle on
Again difficult in workmate vice

The vice fits on any bench with a plate and screw on the bottom so easy to just turn the bolt and remove

This sort of thing

I have used a small vice on a workmate
Holds small objects for filling cutting
Like bolts various bits and bobs

Difficult to hold a 6mm bolt in the workmate vice

Some small pieces of plastic to shape and get a 60 degree angle on
Again difficult in workmate vice

The vice fits on any bench with a plate and screw on the bottom so easy to just turn the bolt and remove

This sort of thing
Ah, I see, for smaller detailed work.

Does your vice hold firm enough with that kind of bolt and plate fitting?

Sponsored Links
Yep pretty much
Used for a log dremel work to
I also have the dremel vice also clamp to workmate
Thanks. I appreciate the link too

Just looking at the Dremmel clamp , looks to be very good quality. I have a Dremmel , so it appeals to me

Last edited:
I have only recently ,about a month ago, got the dremel clamp along with the dremel when it was all on offer , stand ,router plunge base
Used it a couple of times already
The vice Seems to work well

The metal vice I linked an example of, I have had for around 30 years odd I think
I think it was at some sort of market or garden show
Can’t remember now
I have over the years Used that vice a lot
Holding lawn mower blades to sharpen
Various tools to sharpen
Bolt cutting
Etc etc

But I am just a diyer

Or another hack is to utilise say a 200mm length of say 50x50 steel angle, a standard metal vice is bolted to the top (flat) flange and then you just clamp the vertical flange in the workmate.

then you just clamp the vertical flange in the workmate.
Forgot about tvat
I made up a container for log cutting that I clamp into the workmate vice itself
2 bits of wood at 90 degrees to other than a vertical bit down for the workmate vice so that those bits of wood are 45 degree from the workmate top
I the drop a log into that tie and cut with chainsaw

I have seen a pipe vice bolted to a piece of wooden joist, which was carried around and could be gripped in the jaws of a workmate

I do not think a workmate is suitable for a substantial engineers vice if you are going to be hammering or twisting. it is too insubstantial, and not fixed in place.

Seems pretty clear that the sentiment of the thread is not to imitate a vice bolted to a substantial work bench but to provide a suitable vice for more intricate materials for occasional use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back