Adding a wall light and use power from another wall light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this is very basic but different websites seem to suggest different things. I would like to add a wall light to a wall with an existing wall light. Is it possible to chase into the wall and run a cable directly from the existing wall light to the new one for power? The room is being plastered but the one above is already decorated.

Thanks for all advice.

Sponsored Links
A light be it wall or ceiling can be the junction box, but also the switch can be the junction box, or it could have a separate junction box. To add a second lamp from the same switch it does not really matter, but if you want independent switching then the supply needs to come from where the junction box is.

Second is there are safe zones, which need to be followed.

So first you have to find out where the junction box is, we have 4 points of termination, the earth and neutral should be at any lamp, but some will have permanent line and switched line, and some will only have switched line, the same problem with the switch.

With the switch it will have earth, permanent line and switched line but some will have a neutral some will not.

Because some lamps do not have a terminal for the permanent line, some times a separate junction box is used. In which case neither the switch or the lamp can be used.

I would suggest switch off power, remove lamp, take a picture, replace lamp, then post the picture, you are looking to see if just 3 connections or 4.

A light be it wall or ceiling can be the junction box, but also the switch can be the junction box, or it could have a separate junction box. To add a second lamp from the same switch it does not really matter, but if you want independent switching then the supply needs to come from where the junction box is.

So first you have to find out where the junction box is, we have 4 points of termination, the earth and neutral should be at any lamp, but some will have permanent line and switched line, and some will only have switched line, the same problem with the switch.

With the switch it will have earth, permanent line and switched line but some will have a neutral some will not.

Because some lamps do not have a terminal for the permanent line, some times a separate junction box is used. In which case neither the switch or the lamp can be used.

I would suggest switch off power, remove lamp, take a picture, replace lamp, then post the picture, you are looking to see if just 3 connections or 4.

Sponsored Links

Thank you very much. So if I discover 3 connections then my idea would work, but not if it is 4?

I am not concerned about them operating independently - as long as they both go on and off from the main wall light switch. They do have an on/off switch on each light itself but we don't intend on using this function.

I know this is very basic but different websites seem to suggest different things. I would like to add a wall light to a wall with an existing wall light. Is it possible to chase into the wall and run a cable directly from the existing wall light to the new one for power? The room is being plastered but the one above is already decorated.
Yes.

However it is wired, if it works and you want the new light to come on at the same time, then you can add another with just a cable between them.

Thanks again. They will have their own integral on/off switch which we don't actually plan to use, as they will be controlled from the light switch on the wall. However, would they still operate independently if we did use this integral switch to turn one or both of them off on their own when the other was on? Or would the 'first' one being turned off integrally also turn the second one off as the power is provided via the first light? Hope that makes sense!!

would the 'first' one being turned off integrally also turn the second one off as the power is provided via the first light?

No, when the wall switch is on, you can choose...

• Neither on
  • One on, by itself
  • The other one on, alone
  • Both on
...using the integral switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back