Adding a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at buying a house that has a bedroom without a 'normal' window; the house has been extended, so the external wall where the bedroom window was has become an internal wall. The room has a velux-style roof window, but I'd prefer to add a regular window in the remaining outside wall. Two questions:

1. Is there a requirement to have a normal window as a fire egress option, or does the roof window and door suffice?

2. The window would face the neighbour's house approximately 8 feet away. At the moment neither house has any windows on the two facing walls. Is there likely to be any permissions problem putting a window in?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Even before the latest (2006) edition of the building regs part B was introduced all 1st floor bedrooms should have a means of escape window. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB_2000.pdf page 23 Provisions for escape. I'm not sure what the regs were for escape windows prior to 2000 if the conversion was carried out before then.

With regards to having a window facing your neighbours house, it would probably be allowed but probably only if the window is opaque (obscured glass). Talk to the planners.

Is there a building regs certificate available for the conversion?

Thanks for that, exactly the sort of thing I couldn't manage to google up myself! From the regs it looks like the room isn't legit as a bedroom, so I'll follow up with that and find out why they're claiming it.

I'll also ask about the cert - it's a big extension (5 rooms), so hard to imagine it sneaked through, but I'll definitely check. Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back