Semi-detatched Bungalow - Planning for two clear windows

G

gjf72

Hello, I'm a new member on here, but have keenly read lots of advice in the past.

I have some questions concerning planning permission for a prospective property we may/might like to buy, a semi-detatched single story bungalow.

Here's the situation...It's driveway runs alongside from front to back, as does the neighbours property.

At the front of each adjacent bungalow is the kitchen with one high side window, then next back is the bathroom with a frosted glass window, followed by the main door entrance (on the side).

At the point of the main door, the fence inbetween properties runs to a height of 6 feet from that point all the way back.

Thereafter, no more side windows.

If we purchased the property, we would look to change the internal layout and have a third bedroom just beyond the main side door and as the property concerned has been extended at the back (not flat roof, but full roof) AND ideally a further side window on the back extention on the side.

This would mean two further windows along the side/driveway, essentially overlooking a 6 foot fence and facing toward a neighbours brick wall (no windows to overlook).

My questions are:
- does this sound like a plausible possibility to obtain permission for windows?

- appreciate sometimes frosted glass is required on certain occasions, but ideally would prefer clear glass windows...anyone happen to know whether based on the above clear glass would likely cause problems?

- does size matter :rolleyes: ? What I mean is will small windows be more likely to be given the go ahead than large windows?

:D

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
The 'enlargement, improvement or other alteration' of a house comes under Class A of the permitted development rules.
The only reference in the class A rules to side-facing windows is to those in an upper storey, which must be glazed in obscured glass and have only top openers. There is no reference to ground-floor side-facing windows, and as these are not specifically excluded, they are permitted development and will not need an application for planning permission.
You will need to make a building regulations application as the windows will constitute a structural alteration. You also need to ensure that there is not too much glazing if you are near the side boundary, but this is a fire-safety aspect of the regs and nothing to do with Planning.
(The usual caveats apply, ie that it's not a listed building, and that the council has not removed permitted development rights etc).

- does size matter :rolleyes: ? What I mean is will small windows be more likely to be given the go ahead than large window?
Heat loss reg's apply, so yes, smaller can be better i.e. not exceeding glazed area per floor area rules.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back