Adding additional light/switch from exsisting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add an additional 2 outside lights to my house. I currently have a light switch that I figure I can take a spur from. Ideally I'd like 1 cable to go from a new switch (next to the current) to a splitter, to then go to 2 lights.

Idea is to take live feed from original switch to new timer switch, then feed switched power down the new cable, that then splits to 2 lights.

I've already run some 2 core cable in, not thinking about the cabling requirements too o_O

Is this possible? Thanks

This is the current light switch
IMG_4538.JPG

The new timer for the new light
IMG_4542.JPG

Sponsored Links
That switch is part of a 2-way circuit. There is no neutral there. Either the important stuff is at the other end of that cable, or in a ceiling somewhere/at a light fitting.

So, no. You cannot do what you propose with what you have there.

What's the cable with blue and brown not connected to the switch?

That timer needs a neutral which your existing light switch doesn't have. Also the new lights will need a neutral, again you wont have the neutral from the light switch or timer to provide this. You first need to be able to get a neutral and live to the timer and then to the lights.

Also don't leave that earth wire bare and unconnected to anything

So, this is in a garage, the cable will run to the light on the ceiling.

The cable you questioned is the one I've run in today.

What you 2 are saying is I need neutral. Can I take a spur from the light this switch ... switches? Then use the cable I've run already?

The earth was existing and had a crimp on the end, It'll get replaced.

Sponsored Links
Take a permanent live, neutral & earth from the existing light fitting down to your timer, then from the timer take a neutral from the neutral terminal, switched live from the Live out and join the earth wires together in either a spare terminal or clamp all to your junction box.

Forget about the existing light switch as its of little/no use.

That timer needs a neutral which your existing light switch doesn't have. Also the new lights will need a neutral, again you wont have the neutral from the light switch or timer to provide this. You first need to be able to get a neutral and live to the timer and then to the lights.

Also don't leave that earth wire bare and unconnected to anything

Have another look at his picture.

N-NEUTRAL NOT USED.

But yes the new lights will need a neutral.

Ok thanks. What do I do about the split? Is it possible to just split it colour to colour?

EDIT:

To clarify, there are 4 pins

N - Neutral
NotUsed
L - Live
L OUT - Live out.

So it does require a neutral? I just connect the feed N to the N-Neutral pin?

what external lights are you going to be fitting? What wattage/type are they? i.e. led, halogen, 400w, 500w etc..?

As said you require a neutral, where the nearest neutral is would be a question best asked to whoever installed the current set up.
But you must take the neutral from the same circuit that the line conductor is being taken.
It could be possible that both live and neutral are looped in at the nearest light fitting or a junction box somewhere.
What you must do though is prove the work you are intending to do is done safely and is also safe to but into service, if you cannot do this? it is best left to someone who can, may I suggest a qualified electrician?

Have another look at his picture.

N-NEUTRAL NOT USED.

But yes the new lights will need a neutral.

If you look at the timer there is a terminal labelled "not used" this is the terminal that isn't used. The neutral is used and required.

Ok, so what Omega say is correct. Thanks.

Lights are just 4W LED jobbies, not bright, just decorative.

Doesn't matter whether they give off a barely discernible dim glow or can illuminate the surface of The Moon, they need a neutral and there isn't one at that switch. There might be one at other switch(es), and there will definitely be one at every light, so decide which light is the most sensible one to branch from and take the supply from there. Going through a double-pole switch would be good - you might need to completely isolate the external lights if they get water in.

Re the loose earth, is there no parking terminal in the pattress box?

And did you buy that timer online from a Chinese seller?

Timer is from Toolstation, no other chain had them (at least in stock) when I looked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back