Adding new light on exsisting switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have 2 switches controlling 1 light in my house. Off of 1 of the switches, I want to swap it out for a 2 gang switch, then feed a cable out the wall to outside for an light.

This means replacing 1 of the switches with a 2 gang switch (it's currently 1).

A photo of what I currently have is attached. I'd like to know how to add the cable from outside to the 2nd gang.

I have tested that the single brown cable is constant live, regardless of the other switch. None of the other cables are live.

View media item 81673

Sponsored Links
Well the new cable blue wire connect to blue in the back box. It's lucky u look like you have a neutral but test it before drilling holes.

Connect the new brown to the new switch L1

Connect com to the per meant live

I have tested that the single brown cable is constant live,
Tested it with what?

If the answer is "neon screwdriver" then throw that away and get a multimeter.

Proper testing is going to be important - I can't see from the photo what's going on, but it looks like you have 2 x twin & earth and 1 x 3-core & earth, the brown from one T/E goes to COM, the other is connected to the brown of the 3C+E, and the black & grey from that go to L1 & L2.

The blues are probably neutral, but no guarantee.

How are all the various earth cores connected?

Sponsored Links
Andy's method has worked.

Yes it was a neon screw driver. All earth connected to the back box it's self, then 1 cable to the faceplate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back