adding air vent to bricked up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I've stripped a first floor room back to bricks so i can plasterboard n get it skimmed for nice finish.

the fireplace which had been bricked up didnt have an air vent.... i thought i should add one... i've knocked 1 brick out but have found there appears to be another line of bricks behind. is this normal? - not sure when i would have been bricked up. is it essential to add an air brick?

thanx

Sponsored Links
If a fire place has been bricked up it could be normal. Or are you chopping into the brest? :eek:

An airbrick goes at the base of the flue and at the top too if its been capped off. A 3x9 will suffice for a bedroom, and a 6x9 if its a ground level (ie longer flue)

hi, thanx for reply

house is victorian so fireplace would have been used at one time - there is supporting brick arch above it. it looked like previous owners had blocked it up without bothering to add an air vent to it... so i was going to add one, i took out a brick which i was going to replace with airbrick and found that their appears to be another row of bricks behind... whole opening has been bricked up solid by the looks. there wasnt any damp or anything coming through the plaster either. should i leave it without an air vent? only other thing i can see me havin to do is take all the brick out and rebuild with single row with air brick. my diy books dont cover the strange past diy efforts and how to put things how they should be...

thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back