Air vent - Bricked up externally, what is best to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently started renovating kitchen diner in 1870's house. In kitchen diner there is a vent around 1ft below the ceiling which presumably once was to an air brick. This has been bricked up on the outside wall however in the past only one brick thick, internally there is still the vent cover behind which is a void to the single brick.

No damp issues etc. are visible in this room, lots of windows with trickle vents etc. allowing for air flow with condensing boiling (I presume this vent was once for an older boiler). We were planning on filling and plastering this hole, however is this advisable? Would we be better fitting a nice vent internally should we need to open this up in the future if probably arise? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Recently had a similar job done on the house.
The outside air brick was filled in, leaving the internal vent like yours.

Recently had a window with wooden panelling taken out by a builder who bricked up below the wondow and fitted a new dg unit window frame.
I asked him and he said it was ok to fill in the inside wall. He did it with a breeze block and plastered over.
The job was done in July last year and had no problems with it. The cavity is filled with rockwool anyway so thought it would be better filled in.

I'm sure a builder type person will follow up soon enough

Regs call for an extractor in the kitchen but if you have no issues with condensation in the property or clamminess in the kitchen then go ahead and remove the old cover and make good.

Building regs (Part F) don't require you to provide a ventilation system when refitting a kitchen, if one is not already present. That's not to say it isn't a good idea to do it.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Rubberking,

i was wrong. In your particular circumstances, Regs dont require an extractor in the kitchen. I apologise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back