Adding an indoor socket via outdoor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a single socket for a reading lamp in my conservatory. The easiest way to do this is to run a spur from the ring main in the dining room socket, drill through to the outside wall, then run the cable along the conservatory wall for approx 8 feet, drill through the conservatory wall and then locate the socket. Is this ok?

I am assuming i do not need to use armoured cable as ass cable ends etc will be inside, it is only the actual cable itself that will be routed outside.

If i ran the cable through say PVC or HDPE trunking fastened to the conservatiry wall, and ensured all openings were sealed, would this keep it sufficiently watertight?

Can i use standard household 1.5mm cable for this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you m ust use 2.5mm cable.

I would prefer to use 20mm round conduit with 'C' type saddles and terminal boxes where required.

Why not use 2.5mm hi tuf external cable and make it a fixed spur off your existing ring main.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HT2dot5slash3.html

HT2.5SLASH3.JPG

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt need conduit with that cable really. I would use conduit and standard PVC cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back