adding an inner ceiling to a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to improve the look and warmth of my garage which I use as a gym. The garage is a single course of brickwork flat roof construction attached to the side of my house.

I am concerned that if i put up a ceiling this will 'seal up' the roof joists and they may sweat/rot because of no air circulation? Would this be a problem or am I worrying over nothing?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, thanks. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to put in soffit or fascia vents :?: Or air brick vents on each end of the wall :?:

p1705610_l.jpg

Not really, the joist run from left to right as you look at the garage. On the right is the house, on the left is a facia which has guttering running along it. :(

Sponsored Links
Assuming the roof is sound and leak free you should have no problem, stick some insulation in before you board it up.

By the way, if you use it as a gym you might then run into a new problem with the ceiling sealed.

It then gets to hot while working out :LOL:

spoonheadcars said:
It's a flat roof
Okay, so you have a pitch roof over the flat roof, if so, then put in air brick vent on each end of the wall

Hi, thanks for your further correspondence.

The garage is a basic construction flat roof. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology by saying joists?

The flat roof is covered with roofing felt over what looks like large chipboard panels which can be seen from the inside of the garage. The wood I'm concerned about are the long single lengths which span from one side of the brickwork to the other, which support the chipboard panels.

If I attach some sort of ceiling to the bottom of these lengths of wood this will form lots of 'sealed box sections'. I am concerned that without air circulation within these 'box sections' the wood may begin to sweat/rot? Is this likely or not worth worrying about?

spoonheadcars said:
The garage is a basic construction flat roof. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology by saying joists?
No, it's me I wasn't reading it right :rolleyes:

I can't see why you cannot use soffit vents on the fascia board just under the gutter maybe?

Maybe the best thing to do is to something like 3"x1" in opposite direction of the joists to pick up the plasterboards, so you get a cross flow air circulation, use the silver foil back plasterboards which keep the moisture off and reflect the heat back into the room

The facia board is only abount 6 inches deep and most of that is covered by the guttering which runs along it, and there is no soffit section - the facia only just protrudes further than the brickwork.

I like the idea of the 3x1 in the opposite direction. Am I right to be concerned over a lack of air circulation to the joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back