Insulating Garage Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is about the same garage as my previous post but didn't feel this was in any way related.

My garage is attached to the house and has a flat roof. It has been split in half with a stud wall when our kitchen was done. I want to insulate the ceiling in the remaining garage area but I don't want to board directly onto the joists. I'd like to leave the joists almost like exposed 'beams'. This is purely for my man cave and will be keeping the up and over garage door in place.

My current plan is to use insulation roll like the Knauf stuff from Wickes and then OSB fixed onto batons to keep everything up and hidden between the joists.

My concern is condensation from lack of ventilation. Do I need to fit a vent in somewhere and make sure to leave an air gap between insulation and flat roof? Or will the insulation help to stop anything like that from being a problem?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a soffit around the flat roof then vents can be fitted into the soffit to introduce ventilation to the recommended 50mm roofspace above the insulation. If you have no soffit then external vents can be fit to the flat roof surface, a bit like a mushroom, but to ventilate it all will need several and cost a few bob in labour if you employ a tradesman. This link gives you some idea...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back