Bedroom floor/garage ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need to insulate the floor of my bedroom which is above my garage, the garage ceiling is plaster boarded and skimmed. I was considering fixing battens/joist 90Degrees to floor joist then insulating with 75mm Celotex then fixing new plaster boards then re-skimming.
My only concern is the void between ceiling and floor, am I defeating the object and leaving a cold void, should I pull the existing ceiling down and insulate between original flooring joist. Could I have injected insulation ?. What is the correct way to go to conform with building regulations, my house is 6 years old, I have pre drilled ceiling and the builders have insulated with fibre glass but it does not seem up to much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To meet current standards you would need say 150mm glass-wool insulation in void, plus 50mm celotex across joist bottom

Thanks for your advise, please could you also confirm if I fix celotex to underside of existing ceiling would this conform to building regulations or should I fix new joist at 90Deg to existing over plasterboard fit celotex and reboard and skim for fire protection ?

Regards

Wato

You will definitely require skimmed plasterboard (usually fireline board) as the final covering, if it is a garage under the bedroom.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back