Adding an IR sensor to a garage door opener

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I'm using this switch to control my garage door motor, and everything works great.

One channel lowers the gate and the other channel raises it.

The wiring looks like this.

Now I want to add this IR Sensor.

I wired everything myself, but I'm still learning and I want to make sure I connect the IR Sensor correctly.

How would I connect the sensor to the existing system so that when the IR sensor detects an object the gate will be stopped and/or raised?

The gate motor and the switch both work on 220V.

The IR Sensor works with a 12V adapter.

Sponsored Links
How would I connect the sensor to the existing system so that when the IR sensor detects an object the gate will be stopped and/or raised?

To simply have it stop all motion, when there is an obstruction, wire the IR sensors NC and common, in series with the L feeding power to the whole system, including the motor. It will do nothing more, until the obstruction has been cleared.

There is no obvious easy way, with that controller, for it to auto-open if the IR detects an obstruction. Mount the IR sensor, so it is at a level to detect the longest part of the car body, if that is what you are trying to detect.

1690497277528.png

Last edited:
The motor works on 220V and the IR sensor is 12V, will wiring the 220V power through the sensor NC and Common be OK? It won't fry it?

The motor works on 220V and the IR sensor is 12V, will wiring the 220V power through the sensor NC and Common be OK? It won't fry it?

No - Those contacts (NO, NC and common) are what is known as voltage free contacts. You can use them to switch a voltage which has no relationship, to the IR sensor unit, or it's 12v.

Sponsored Links
classed as a safety photocell

Exactly!

It reads as if they want to prevent the door closing, or stop it, should there be an obstruction it prevents the door from closing. I suggested how they could simply stop it closing, but there is no easy way for a novice to get it to stop and reverse on detection of an obstruction, as my roller door does. My dog sometimes chooses to break the IR beam, once I have pressed the close button :)

Sponsored Links
Back