Adding Android to my Volvo V50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - apologies if this is not the best forum for this (could not decide whether it was a car, electrical, PC of AV issue - feel free to move, if recommended).

I am looking to try and upgrade the standard sound system in my Volvo V50 and would be really grateful for some advice.

The current stereo is really basic - just has an FM stereo, CD player and auxiliary in.

I have an old Amazon Firetablet 8 (7 gen) that I had a go with, first but ran into a few initial problems:

1. That tablet cannot tether data via Bluetooth. No problem, I thought, tether it via wifi instead.

2. Need a launcher to give me a proper car experience - forgot that Amazon does not Play so had to sideload that.

3. Lots of the expected Launchers did not show up as available - realised that this is because the tablet was really old and uses Android 5!!

4. Found a couple of launchers that would work but was not impressed - seemed really clunky. Furthermore, realised that the tablet does not have its own GPS so Google Maps didn't work properly.

5. Realised that the lack of Ram (1GB) and poor CPU on the tablet probably contributed to a really poor experience.

6. I decided to try and use my Android phone, instead - my thinking being that if I could mirror and control the screen on a much larger 7" screen, things would be better. Unfortunately not - I used AirDroid and it was so laggy that it was unusable. I really didn't want to go down that route in the first place, either - if I leave the car and take my phone with me, the passengers are stuck without any media.

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

I did look at an official Volvo Android stereo upgrade but that costs over £600.00.

One other quick thing - maybe I am asking for too much, but if I could somehow add a dashcam and reversing camera to the mix, that would be even better.

Sponsored Links
My son recently got one of these for his old car and now he can play spotify on his car stero

Order dispatchedOrder date:07 Apr, 2024Order total:£9.70Order number:24-11414-79928
View order details2 in 1 Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter (C632-K533)

2 in 1 Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter (C632-K533)
Estimated delivery Thursday 11 Apr
Returns accepted through 11 May.
2 in 1 Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter (C632-K533)
£6.71
Sold by:
stockbargains2021user ID

Track package2 in 1 Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter (C632-K533)
Leave Feedback2 in 1 Bluetooth 5 Transmitter Receiver, 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter (C632-K533)
More actions
I plugged one of these into my old amplifier and its allowed me to use spotify off my phone, so if you have an aux you might be able to fit one.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I am looking to try and upgrade the standard sound system in my Volvo V50 and would be really grateful for some advice.

Have you given thought to buying a cheap Chinese, all in one, Android unit? Some are double-DIN height, some single-DIN with a fold out screen. Sat-nav, radio, various interfaces, cheap as chips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back