New Mobile Phone...Don't Laugh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I am the butt of many a joke here (for not being able to make up my mind what to buy) but I don't really mind.

I have owned 3 smart phones so far.

My first was the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, bought November 2013.

Second was the Huawei MediaPad X2, bought June 2016.
Third is my current phone, a cheap Chinese phone. Umidigi Power 3, bought March 2020. It was bought as a stopgap to replace the Huawei which sadly got distorted and the touchscreen was doing weird stuff.

It has had a hard life under lockdown, mainly from extensive use where before I would have used the PC for a lot of those tasks. It has also been for an unscheduled swim in a toilet :)eek:). Since then, it has started shutting down randomly. The screen has a couple of small spots where the colour is washed out.

But considering it was cheap (£100) and was intensively used, and abused, it's not done too badly. The best bit about it is the battery, which is 6150mAh.

So time has come for a replacement. I am immediately focusing on Nokia because their phones belong to the Android One range. These phones have a number of guaranteed Android OS updates, security updates and extended guarantees.

They also have an unadulterated version of Android, without the usual "skin" put on top by the manufacturers and the phones aren't loaded with "bloatware".

Nokia sell their phones direct, and while Amazon and others sell them cheaper, the Nokia models are upgraded with better ROM/ RAM, excepting the G50 model.

The models I have looked at are the X20 and XR20.

I have also looked at the G50. This has a bigger screen (albeit at a lower res) and has a lesser spec, but is half the price of the dearest model, the XR20.

The X20 sits in the middle price wise.

The G50 does not have as many years updates as the more expensive phones, but has a bigger screen and battery.

I am attracted to both these features, but worry that the basic spec is a bit "yesterday".

Having said that, all three have the same CPU/ GPU.

The other thing is, I am incredibly clumsy and the XR20 is attractive for its drop and water resistance. To military standards.

Which would you buy, the cheaper G50 or the X20 or the XR20?

Is the XR20 really worth twice the cost of the G50?

Thanks for your input.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/smartphones

Sponsored Links
Well there's a difference between ignorance and informed indifference, so I'd say look up some of those diffences as ask your self how much they matter. If you don't care, good, save some money. Make a list?
Big screens are nice if you don't mind carrying the thing. Good for satnav.
You current phone is 64MB? How full is it? Those Nokias vary.
Is it annoyingly slow? Short on battery? Do you use a lot of apps at once? Play games needing fast refresh? Need 5G when not many places use it?

Now they charge fast even from a car, and the cameras are all ok for most , I think the bang per buck goes down pretty fast for ordinary mortals. Ime I liked a couple of neat things and the general improvement when I upgraded, but 90% of the time my old phone is perfectly ok. Any more modern phone would do just as well.

Sponsored Links
I've been very happy with the Moto phones.
Currently have the Moto G9 Play, previously had the G7 and G6, i think. My wife and 2 kids still have the g6. All still performing well. And all about 130 new.

Thank you, people, for your comments so far.

Just checked my free space: 44.54 used out of 64.

I don't play any games. Need 5G? Well, if it gives me better coverage, that would be good.

I wouldn't be so worried about 64GB if I had a dedicated card slot, but if you put two SIMs in these Nokia's, you can't fit an SD card as well.

Things like the speakers are crucial to me, being quite severely deaf. I use speaker phone a lot. The one awful thing about this Umidigi is that the speaker quality is terrible. Tinny, hissy and no volume at all.

My current phone is getting slow. IDK if this is down to the water damage or the storage space that is filling up.

I am quite a Moto fan but have never owned one. My 3 boys have all owned several each, Mrs Secure had had 3 and her parents have had a G3 each in the past and now own a G30 each.

Another shout for Moto's here, they serve the kids very well. Any one with 4gb + will cope with most stuff.

Last edited:
8896759_R_Z001A

Forget updates. The mobile phone is a mature tech. Updates means nothing anymore.

Just buy the one with the features you need and not the one you don't.

Me and SWMBO have Redmi phones from Xiaomi, she has had the note 7 for about 3 years, most phones she kills within 6 months, I have the note 10 pro, fantastic camera.
I am avoiding phones that have glass anywhere but the screen. It's just more chance of breakage when this clumsy B'stard drops it. :sneaky:

5G won't give you more coverage because you'll always have 4G where there's 5G.
5G is faster.
I find that in an only moderately good area, 4G isn't bothersomely slower than home wifi. YMMV.

My S20 is LOUD on speakerphone, wife's similar model is less so. Maybe drill into the specs?

Yes, the Motos always seem to come out "pretty good" at least.

That 64GB - with a previous phone I found I couldn't put enough extra apps on the sd card. New versions of standard software seems to balloon in size and you can't shift them across. That may have changed. You should certainly be able to put pics on the sd card, but getting eg facebook to store them there is a problem for some I know who use it. (I don't). Anyone??

Thanks. The on board storage wouldn't matter if you load everything into the SD card, but I have problems doing this.

I shall look into it.

Sponsored Links
Back