Adding another light to a existing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside light (pir controlled) that can be switched off from the inside. I want to add another PIR light to this existing circuit, as in a parallel. Will this be ok?

Sponsored Links
Likely yes but without knowing all the information can't really be answered. Considering you are not allowed over a 150W lamp the total power is likely low but to be certain you need to tell us cable size, lamp size, what else is on the circuit, and the supply MCB size. You should also know the earth loop impedance unless RCD protected but it is rare for any DIY person to do the job right.

Providing that the extra light will not overload the existing circuit or alter the Zs for disconnection times then no problems.

But the problem is not the extra light but the procedure to fit it. As it is outside it is classed as a special location and therefore you will either need to notify the Local building authority if you do it yourself or get a part P registered electrician to do it for you.

As you can see by my first line it is not that easy to add extras even to an existing circuit. Best advice is get a sparks in to give you advice and a quote.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back