Adding Attic Floor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need to add more attic storage space, so I want to put a floor down in an unfinished section of the attic. Joists are 2"x6" and 16" on center with 10" of blown insulation. My plan is to strap another 2"x6" perpendicular to the joists giving me 11" of space for the insulation, and then putting down 23/32" plywood for the new floor.

My concern is the weight load on the original joist. Will a 2x6 joist support this (it's a ceiling joist, not a floor joist, so attachment is different), or do I need to sister another 2x6 to the existing joist before I add the perpendicular member?

Or is there a better method?

Sponsored Links
6 inch is pretty good for loft joists. I think you just need to make sure they're bearing on something solid at both ends. How long is the span?
Photos might help if it's possible

You'd be better of adding an 8x2 alongside the existing joists, and then using either 100mm of celotex or equivalent, or 170mm of rockwool, as you'll have floorboards over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back