Adding brick chimney stack to modern newbuild?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking at buying a newbuild house; a modern 4 bedroom detatched villa - two storeys with attic.

As with most newbuilds, there's no chimney. We would only consider move if we could install a multifuel stove. I know an external stainless twin-wall flue is an option, but bit of an eyesore.

What I'd prefer is to add an external chimney stack, in brick to match the building (2007). Apart from blending with the building, this should let us create an inglenook/recess for the stove, so it looks more natural and doesn't take up unnecessary space in the room.

Does anyone have experience of adding a chimney stack to a modern new-build? I'd assume Planning wouldn't be an obstacle if aesthetically designed.

Can any builders approximate a cost? I'm guessing, being two storey + attic, the stack would be approx 25ft in height.

I have attached an image to explain (roughly) the style of house and proposed brick stack.

Any advice appreciated!

View media item 72772

Sponsored Links
At the very least you could definitely build a stack like that, then simply put stainless steel inside...

Sorry - I should have added that; as I'd be putting in a woodburner, I'd be intending stack to house a flexible liner anyway (I've always found stoves running better as a 'sealed system', i.e. not just open into chimney).

Main reason for building is to open up a 'fireplace' inglenook, and be more aesthetically pleasing (stop side of house looking like a chipshop ;) )

not sure about the cost but it is possible, i have done something similar myself but with a single story home

Sponsored Links
You won't need a flimsy metal liner placed inside a new chimney.
A stainless steel liner will fail in 20 years or less where as a Class 1 clay or concrete Flue Liner will last hundreds of years.
Liners are a quick fix "get out" for those people who don't want to do the job properly.

Hetas have lobbied BC to enforce them as they are a cash cow for hetas installers.
Why do you think the pyramids are still standing after tens of thousands of years?

I've just noticed in that house the lawn runs right up to the wall.
No access pathway to clean windows or do maintenance.
You could always wear your welly boots. :LOL:

I'd knock £30k of the asking price straight away for that fault. Its also a h&s issue as there is no firm footing for personnel or equipment.

And then you have the home owner moaning when any damage is caused to the lawn because the workers couldn't be bothered to use their sky hook. :rolleyes:

And of course what kind of builder would construct a home without a chimney? Shabby work all round me thinks.
Probably £40k needed to put it right. OOh well that's a shame..
Probably fired together for about £80k and the asking price will be about £230k!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back