Question on Home Chimney Stack / Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2-flat with a brick chimney stack that is LEANING or tilted located in my attic (the top of the chimney on the roof is straight). The question I have is: Did this "lean" happen over time or was it originally built that way over 100 years ago. Can anyone provide any knowledge on the structure of a chimney. The building has two chimneys and both are leaning in this way. I must say we do have foundation problems with the 2-flat building which can be seen from the backporch floor that is obviously tilted downward. I've been told by a person who is not a chimney professional that the problem is "dire" and needs repairing immediately. I don't want to ignore it if it is a problem and can collapse at any time, but I also don't want to address a costly issue that won't ultimately cause any problems. Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back