Removing a chimney breast - no stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
I've read a lot of posts on here for chimney breasts/stacks and now for what might be the stupid female question, so apologies in advance.
The chimney stack has been romoved to the loft floor and I want to remove the chimney breast on the first floor below (no party wall) and will not need to use the fireplace on the ground floor underneath. Can I just take it out, make good the floor (capping off the chimney below) and repair the ceiling? or is there something more complicated that I need to do?

PLease help!

PS when I say I am going to do it I mean my strapping son.

Sponsored Links
Why has someone taken the top bit out? Seems an odd thing to do if you arent removing the breasts out of the rooms. Could be a roof/maintenance thing I guess.

If you are sure then yes, you can remove the stack below no problems. The repairs to the floor though might be quite involved. Basically the existing joists will go round the breast and will need filling in before laying floorboards.

Here is one I had done, but the stack was taken out of the rom below as well. Dont know if you might be able to lay the new joists on the remaining chimney. This was done with Building Control approval and involved drilling into the wall putting threaded rods in and securing with a strong epoxy.

1June101.jpg

In most cases chimneys add lateral support to a building, you may wish to see professional advice before removal.

Sponsored Links
Thnaks guys. Reason the top was taken out was because chimney was unstable and so removed rather than repaired as chimney not used (previous owner). Think I will find a man who can as it looks a bit complicated for a son with a hammer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back