Chimney Support Options Risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a house where the previous owners had removed the chimney breast up into the attic but left with little to no support. It's on the party wall where two chimey breasts (front and back) in each house gather to a single stack. My front chimney has been removed to attic height. Turns out neighbours ground floor back chimney (so diagonally opposite) has been removed from the ground foor (left in the bedroom).

My neighbour is refurbing and extending their home and have gone ahead and installed a steel beam below the ceiling in the bedroom and knocked out the remainder of the chimney in the bedroom. I had suggested removing the chimney stack but they refused. Their builder was not interested in doing work to my chimney. no party wall agreement in place.

I want to get my chimney properly supported. I've been given two options
1. structural engineered gallows brackets in the attic, which will invole removing half the remaining chimney bricks and the SE says that the party wall bricks where the gallows go (where the chimney will be removed) will have to be replaced. Local buiding control allows gallows brackets.

2 Insert a spliced steel beam across the external wall and internal wall with a steel plate on top and build up brick work to the attic to support the chimney. Due to hipped roof eaves this will come down some way into the bedroom

My concern is the likelihood of causing damage to neighbours property as they've just replastered (having knocked there plaster off, plasterboarded and replastered). I was just after experiences of doing the above work and the risks involved. To my novice eye the work inserting the gallows brackets (replacing bricks) seems like it will put more stress on the party wall than inserting a beam into the side walls and building the chimney back up. I don't know how the chimney was constructed and how easy it is to remove bricks from the party wall.

The picture is of the insertion of the beam into my neighbours side. Can anyone tell from this how the party wall is constructed? Is it a cavity wall?

I'm minded to go for the steel beam insertion even though I'm losing space and it will cost almost double. Relations with the neighbours are not the best.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
IMG_4821 (1).PNG

Sponsored Links
How would option 1 (in the attic) affect your neighbours plasteretc, or have they done a loft conversion?

Blup

Thanks for the response. The effect on the plastering of their ceiling and walls in their bedroom. Just concerned about vibrations of knocking a few layers of chimney bricks out and removing and replacing bricks from the party wall (I dont know whether the party wall is solid or cavity and if solid how easy it is to remove the bricks). I realise that putting a steel beam into the side walls will also cause vibrations but to my novice eye seemed less than the gallows.

Sponsored Links
A builder should be able to knock out a few loosish bricks fairly gently, mortar is only a light glue, and once tapped the brick should come away by hand.

Either way, go for the cheaper option if there is that much difference in price, but maybe wise to get alternative quotes.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back