Adding circuit to fan isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am getting fitted wardrobes which will have lighting installed in them. I have no sockets etc behind to run the lights from.

I was considering running another cable out of the feed side of the fan isolator as I have perm live neutral and CPC on the feed side.

Running this to either a fused spur or a socket marked as lighting circuit.

Can I do this? I can't pick up anywhere else off the lighting circuit as the neutrals are fed to the switches and only cables in the loft going to lights are switched live

Sponsored Links
Hello, I am getting fitted wardrobes which will have lighting installed in them. I have no sockets etc behind to run the lights from. I was considering running another cable out of the feed side of the fan isolator as I have perm live neutral and CPC on the feed side. Running this to either a fused spur or a socket marked as lighting circuit. Can I do this? I can't pick up anywhere else off the lighting circuit as the neutrals are fed to the switches and only cables in the loft going to lights are switched live
If I understand correctly then yes, no problem. I take it that the fan isolator is fed from a lighting circuit, in which case it doesn't matter where in the lighting circuit you get a L,N and CPC feed from.

If it is a lighting circuit, there's no point in having a 'fused spur' (FCU), since the circuit will already have 5A/6A protection.

Someone may come along moaning about a socket being connected to a lighting circuit. You can just ignore him, but, if the new feed is only for lights, you could consider using a 2A or 5A 'round pin' socket, just to be certain that no-one will try "plugging a vacuum cleaner into it"!! However, even a 13A socket (suitable 'labelled') would be fine, and compliant with the regulations.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo (missing character!) corrected!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks yes it's on the lighting circuit and the socket would be nearly at ceiling height basically built into the wardrobe.

Thanks yes it's on the lighting circuit and the socket would be nearly at ceiling height basically built into the wardrobe.
That sounds fine. He who moans about such things would undoubtedly moan about a "13A" socket even in that location, since he would envisage people getting out their ladder to plug in their vacuum cleaner but, as I said, you can just ignore him if he appears!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back