Bathroom fan with Timer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The fan in my bathroom is connected into the Lighting Circuit in the usual way using 3 core and earth. Red perm live, Yellow Sw live, Blue Neutral and Green/Yellow earth, There is no Isolator switch fitted which I intend to rectify ASAP .
My question is this, while fitting a 3pole Isolator switch is it allowed to move the wiring from the Light circuit to the shower switch using the perm live, switched live, neutral and earth which are all present in the switch. basically so the fan works when the shower is used rather than everytime we switch the light on, Or is this not advisable.
I would also intend to fit a non switched fuse into the wiring after the Isolator.
Last question if all this is possible is it something I can do Or do I need the services of an electrician.

Mnay thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This just seems a lot of work to save turning on the light.

So many options: first of all you don't need to fit the isolator if you don't have one already.

If you did connect the wiring to the shower, which may be alright electrically, it will be very awkward to fit the small fan wires in the switch with the very large shower wires and not really advisable.

You would then need two fused connectors - one for the permanent live and another for the switched live.

I would advise against your proposals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back