Adding extra sleepwall in breeze block on concrete floor, without mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the Kitchen, there is slight bounce on the kitchen floor we want to tile.
The joists are the existing smaller ones from the 70's (I guess), with new 18mm tongue and groove chipboard flooring screwed and glued.

The old floor seemed ok, we took it up to make level after knocking through and now we have the bounce. I've managed to get into the very small crawl space (smaller that the rest of the house, most an army wriggle, then crawling).

My plan is add extra sleeper walls under the joists to support and eliminate the bounce.
As the space is so tight I was planning on two breeze blocks with a brick and some slate (with a DPM) sitting on the flat concrete oversite. If packed in tightly, would you say it is ok not to use mortar?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the Kitchen, there is slight bounce on the kitchen floor we want to tile.
The joists are the existing smaller ones from the 70's (I guess), with new 18mm tongue and groove chipboard flooring screwed and glued.

The old floor seemed ok, we took it up to make level after knocking through and now we have the bounce. I've managed to get into the very small crawl space (smaller that the rest of the house, most an army wriggle, then crawling).

My plan is add extra sleeper walls under the joists to support and eliminate the bounce.
As the space is so tight I was planning on two breeze blocks with a brick and some slate (with a DPM) sitting on the flat concrete oversite. If packed in tightly, would you say it is ok not to use mortar?

Thanks

If its a suspended floor, do you have a proper oversite or just some concrete laid on uncompacted ground to blind off soil? I dont know what is likely or how stable it will be. Im sure somebody will be along to advise

You could sister the existing joists as an alternative, screw and glue 8 x 2

For tiling you want lots of screws. Ditra mat for decoupling.

The over site is pretty thick , as we dug through some foundation of new steel.
Can't sister without taking up the floor, if I was to do that I would lay new joists.
Ditra is good for lateral but doesn't protect for bounce. Though I will be using it as going wfh across the room which straddles both this timber and concrete slab

Cheers

The over site is pretty thick , as we dug through some foundation of new steel.
Can't sister without taking up the floor, if I was to do that I would lay new joists.
Ditra is good for lateral but doesn't protect for bounce. Though I will be using it as going wfh across the room which straddles both this timber and concrete slab

Cheers

In that case I would say no mortar would be fine. If you wanted you could use spray adhesive and or a glue from a gun like CT1

Im not sure about slate. I think plastic shims or some wedge packers maybe.

Sponsored Links
I tried a few columns, with heavy concrete blocks and slate in a 35cm space....
It didn't really work as ever time you pack in slate it raises it slightly, as the whole floor is tied together.

I have gone for the simpler, screwing legs into the side of the joists every couple of feet.
This has worked and made it solid

Cheers for the replies

Hi @foxhole those look great, however they don't go high enough and are a little more expensive that screwing multiple 2x4x35 lengths into the joist.
I can't wait for this job to be finished..

@Mr Chibs
I screwed lengths of 2x4 into the sides of the joists every couple of feet.
Slight overkill, but no bounce and no lifting (from the slate packing) and should last well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back