fresh concrete and wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just reduced the size of my fireplace foundation ready for a new smaller fireplace so now need to extend the subfloor over the gap ready for a solid wood floor on top. I need to bed this short section of joist into a gap in a couple of breeze blocks ready to support the subfloor

Question is: Can I use cement or might the moisture cause a problem (as I plan to lay the solid wood in 4 days) ? anything else I can use?

Also while I'm on the topic the fireplace installers said they would use a dry concrete mix to hold the base of the fireplace. This will be laid just after the floor and will overhang the floor slightly, should I stop them using concrete for that too?

Thanks

IMG_1018.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you are anxious about the wet concrete affecting the timber (it will not be wet long enough to make it rot; but it WILL make it expand or warp, and be loose when it dries and shrinks) you can wrap the timber in polythene or put down a sheet of it.

For a small job even cling film will do as the concrete will be dry in a week or so.

Thanks for the tip hadn't thought about the joist swelling and becoming loose. However I was worried more about the solid wood floor than the joist though any tips on an adhesive/filler.

Neber: rule of thumb: every inch (2.5 cm) of concrete takes 30 days to dry out sufficiently to safely install a wooden floor on. I do realise it's a small area but even so.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back