Suspended Timber Floor, Insulation and Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd describe myself as a competent DIY'er rather than being trade/beginner DIY.

I've knocked down the wall between my Kitchen and Diner to give a 3 meter x 8 meter space that I want to install insulation under and then tile. I would appreciate comments on the following issues/questions (I've read a few other posts and there seem to be a variety of possible answers):

1) The existing Kitchen Floor (3 meters wide) has 47mm x 150mm joists at 400 mm centres. It also has a sleeper wall at the halfway point - this all seems well within the timber tables so I'm assuming that there should be no problems with bounce?
2) The to-be-built new diner floor has been speced by the builder as using 47mm x 225mm joists. No details yet on joist spacing or whether there will be a sleeper wall, but from looking at the timber tables this size of joist appears to work for a 3m span in any event? Should I ask for a sleeper wall (and potentially smaller joints) in be installed instead just to be on the safe side re. bounce?
3) I'll be installing UFH on spreader plates between the joists. I don't think I'll need to brace the (existing) kitchen floor, but what about the new diner floor - should that be braced for a 3m span? I don't want any squeaks (which I have in my loft conversion despite the timber sizes meeting the required spec's);
4) I'm planning on insulating between joists with as thick a board as possible - e.g. 120mm if possible. Is there a limit to the amount of depth of a joist that should be covered with insulation (e.g. damp/ventilation problems)?
5) I will be tiling the whole floor - other posts tend to suggest WBP ply, however I was wanting to board with 22mm water resistant chipboard with a 6mm cement board (e.g. Hardibacker) installed over it. Should that work?

I realise some of the above will be very over engineered, however from reading some experiences I'd rather tend on the side of caution.

thanks in advance for any comments.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back