Adding ikea LED lighting from cooker hood supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A recirculating cooker hood is going to be installed between two wall cabinets in space shown, using the ring extension behind that backplate (it does not come off the oven supply). Originally that was to be its only function, but, I now also want this to supply ikea led worktop lights for the main cabinets on the left. How can I have two wires going into the supply? I was intending to use a DP Plateswitch with Flex Outlet to connect to the cooker hood https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG930.html when that was to be the only thing fitted, but now plans have changed.

The ikea power supply is intended to be plugged in http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90121413/ so I want to cut the plug off and hardwire it in for neatness. I don't want to physically plug it in to a wall socket as they are limited plus it would look worse. The wires for the led lights run behind the cabinets (they are designed to have space for this purpose) so I just need to get power from the plate to the cabinet on the left ie a short run.

Any advice as to how I can achieve this neatly? (awaits flaming...)

IMG_0173.jpg

power supply which plugs directly into the first led light:

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-01-24%252520at%25252011.08.27.png

Sponsored Links
ok thanks. And then from there any suggestion as to how I can make it go two ways? ie one for the cooker hood and one for the lights? Although from what I remember (I'm not there at the moment) it is actually a ring not a spur. ie the ring loops up the wall to that plate and back down and continues. Would that matter?

A cooker hood does not take much power.
You can have an FCU, as i showed in the link, a 5amp fuse and connect both the Ikea light and the hood both to the FCU

Sponsored Links
Although from what I remember (I'm not there at the moment) it is actually a ring not a spur. ie the ring loops up the wall to that plate and back down and continues. Would that matter?
You do not appear to have had an answer to that. No, it doesn't matter - if anything, it's 'better' (some people don't like spurs of any sort!).

Kind Regards, John

Hi sorry to go on about this, but does anyone have any suggestions for connecting two different products (their wires) into one outlet?

I need one wire to go to the cupboard on the left, (for the led lights) and one wire to go to the extractor fan to the right. Thus two wires to connect to the one location.

If I install a fcu with flex outlet it will only allow me to connect the extractor.

Otherwise I think I would have to run a spur through the wall & exit above the wall cabinet to the left for the led lights, while using the first flex outlet for the extractor, but I'd rather not run spur in wall if not necessary.

I seem to be over-complicating this in my head!

Edit so what I mean is how would I get both wires into the fcu as suggested by taylortwocities?

If I install a fcu with flex outlet it will only allow me to connect the extractor. ... so what I mean is how would I get both wires into the fcu as suggested by taylortwocities?
There should be no problem getting the two sets of (fairly small) conductors (wires) into the load terminals of an FCU, but there might be some difficulty in getting both cables out of the flex outlet (and through the flex clamp) - a little judicious 'modification' (files etc!), if you are happy/able to do that, might be required.

Kind Regards, John

Ok thanks. Want sure if that was allowed. The led light cable is quite thin so should be ok.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back