Wiring cooker hood to under cabinet light connection possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit this cooker hood under cabinet where there is currently a light fitted and no socket nearby.

The pictures of the light are attached - I don't know what make it is (likely B&Q, previous owners got most stuff from there) and if mains powered (no visible wiring or electrical boxes inside or under cabinets). No markings or screws to remove the case either to look inside.

I will definitely need to remove the light to make space, the question is if I can wire the hood to light power supply and avoid using extentions to reach socket OR just remove the light and isolate whatever is coming out of the wall - two cables I assume, and fit hood over, then run extention to socket through cabinets?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211-200313_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221211-200313_Photos.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
It’s a 12volt halogen capsule light.
There will be a transformer (somewhere). The input to the transformer will be mains voltage, and switched from somewhere. Where is it switched from?

No markings or screws to remove the case either to look inside.
The whole circular part pulls out (the white part in the photo).
The triangular metal frame will be fixed to the underside of the cupboard with a single screw.
Transformer probably on top of the cupboard with the 12V wires down the back.

Thanks, it is the second option then.
The wires must be under the tiles, it is possible the box is somewhere behind skirting indeed.

Sponsored Links
There is a switch box under another cabinet that turns 3 of these lights on.
Follow the cable from the switch box, it will lead to the transformer. It will be somewhere.
As above, usually it is on top of a cupboard. Sometimes in a cupboard, I’ve even seen them under the plinth at floor level. I’m afraid it’s detective work.

will definitely need to remove the light to make space, the question is if I can wire the hood to light power supply and avoid using extentions to reach socket OR just remove the light and isolate whatever is coming out of the wall - two cables I assume, and fit hood over, then run extention to socket through cabinets?

Taylortwocities It’s a 12volt halogen capsule light.​

now you know its 12v - you may as well do as you suggested - isolate and run an extension , as you have NO mains power at the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back