Extractor fan / Cooker Hood socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just moved into a new flat, and am re-fitting my kitchen, at the moment the cooker hood is wired into a spurred switch / socket thing as the image below, my question is:

Can this socked be changed to a normal double 13amp socket to take my new cooker hood which has a plug on and some LED cabinet lighting?

I'll be getting a pro to change it over, I just wanted to get a heads up before I ask the question!

thanks in advance for your help

cheers

Damo
Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 17.00.53.png

Sponsored Links
Yes - assuming everything was installed correctly.

Just out of interest, is it on the cooker circuit - does the cooker switch turn it off?

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I dont hink its on the cooker circuit, just tuned the hood on, and switched the, hob and oven switches to see and it still worked!

ta

D

Ok. Then it will be on the socket circuit or lights circuit.

Some people will not like a socket on the lighting circuit but it doesn't really matter - if only used for a hood and more lights.

Sponsored Links
13 amp sockets SHOULD NOT be on the lighting circuit nor should fused connection units.

Someone one day will plug a kettle into it especially if it is in the kitchen.

13 amp sockets SHOULD NOT be on the lighting circuit nor should fused connection units.
You had better tell the manufacturers of extractor fans about the latter.
Someone one day will plug a kettle into it especially if it is in the kitchen.
It looks as if they would probably have to climb onto a work surface and get inside a cupboard to plug their kettle in to the socket whose two outlets would already be spoken for. To be sure, one could label the socket appropriately, but beyond that I really don't think that there's a problem.

Kind Regards, John

You had better tell the manufacturers of extractor fans about the latter.

Kind Regards, John

It's well known manufacturers often don't know what they are talking about. Telling them that FCUs are not required because lighting circuits are adequately fused will not achieve anything any more that telling them that digital aerials don't exist, plugtops are covers, or transformers are wound devices that work by electromagnetic induction.

Sad but true.

Another option is to cut the plug off your extractor and connect the cable to the existing FCU.
You may or may not be able to do the same thing with the LED lights, to a second FCU next to that one, depending on the style of transformer.
The result might look neater than plugs and sockets.

OMG …… you've use the T word :LOL:……… wait for it !

DS

Another option is to cut the plug off your extractor and connect the cable to the existing FCU.
You may or may not be able to do the same thing with the LED lights, to a second FCU next to that one, depending on the style of transformer.
The result might look neater than plugs and sockets.

You cannot have 2 FCU's on one spur, so that is not an option. Only one FCU or one single or double socket allowed. But hopefully your 'pro' will know this anyway.

LED's DON'T have transformers which are AC devices. LED's require DC from a DC power supply.

Ignore "deadshorts" comment.

Hi

I've just moved into a new flat, and am re-fitting my kitchen, at the moment the cooker hood is wired into a spurred switch / socket thing as the image below, my question is:

Can this socked be changed to a normal double 13amp socket to take my new cooker hood which has a plug on and some LED cabinet lighting?

I'll be getting a pro to change it over, I just wanted to get a heads up before I ask the question!

thanks in advance for your help

cheers

DamoView attachment 110617

Hi, you could use the existing FCU to supply a standard light switch to switch your LED driver ? The cooker hood can remain as is as both will work on a 3a fuse.
I assume from the picture, the FCU is at HL in the duct cover ? If so, all you're wiring will be hidden in the chimney.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
Has someone given him new batteries?
Or should it be a Voltaic Pile?

Hello Mr Robert Dyas person, do you have any PP3 Voltaic Piles please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back