Cooker hood/cooker extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just purchased a cooker hood (Zanussi ZHC6234X_SS) from ao.com to replace my aged and grease ridden integrated extractor.

My old extractor was plugged into a socket hidden above itself. I assumed my new cooker hood would screw onto the wall and I'd utilise the socket (which is on ring main). However my new hood doesn't have a plug, just a flex.

I've read lots of forums on this and most suggest putting a plug on the flex with a 3 amp fuse. However the Zanussi website says 'fuse size: 10' and ao.com tell me it should be fused at 13amps - presumably because 10amp fuses are not easily available??? (not to my knowledge anyway).

My other thought is to replace the socket front with an FCU, keep the ring main complete by using the 'L and N in' and the use 'L and N out' to connect the cooker hood flex. However I'm still not clear what size fuse to use.

Total wattage = 220 (180 fan and 2x 20w lights)

What do people think?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've read lots of forums on this and most suggest putting a plug on the flex with a 3 amp fuse. However the Zanussi website says 'fuse size: 10' and ao.com tell me it should be fused at 13amps - presumably because 10amp fuses are not easily available??? (not to my knowledge anyway). ... Total wattage = 220 (180 fan and 2x 20w lights)
I don't know what Zanussi and AO are thinking, but 220W is just under 1A, so a 3A fuse would be more than enough. [BTW, 10A fuses are 'readily available', but you don't needing anything remotely that large!)

Kind Regards, John

Determine the fuse size by the size of the flex.

What size flex is it?

I'd be putting a 3A in personally

Sponsored Links
Ha, thanks guys, I worked it out a 0.91 amps but doubted myself when the ao customer services stated 13amps and why Zanussi say 10 god knows.

I guess a plug rather than an FCU would be the best option to unplug and replace when it's clogged with grease.

Many thanks for the reassurance.

I don't know what Zanussi and AO are thinking, but 220W is just under 1A
EXTREME Inrush current, that's what they're thinking :LOL:. For when the blades are super clogged with grease
Hmmm - that sounds like a situation in which it would be quite a good idea if the fuse blew, so a 3A (if not 1A!) one would still seem to be a good idea!

Kind Regards, John

Ha, thanks guys, I worked it out a 0.91 amps but doubted myself when the ao customer services stated 13amps and why Zanussi say 10 god knows.

I guess a plug rather than an FCU would be the best option to unplug and replace when it's clogged with grease.

Many thanks for the reassurance.

That would only be correct if the power factor was unity. And motors have a lower power factor than that.

As others have said use a 3 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back