Adding in ceiling PIR, is my diagram correct

The 'cannot be trusted' is not new. I remember my grandfather discovering that he had left a light on in his 'beach hut' or somesuch (I didn't even know that such things came with electricity, particularly back then!) for an entire winter!

Kind Regards, John

I'm surprised that "back then" the light was still working. Many years ago but not as far as "back then" I left the loft lights on for several months. By the time I found it both incandescent bulbs had burnt out. These days of course I have florescent lights in the loft which tend to last in such circumstances.

Sponsored Links
It does seem daft, but given that people (including myself) cannot be trusted to always remember to turn off a light (the usual scenario is a handful of stuff and the 'intention' to come back and turn the light off!), there is a 'need' for some sort of technological assistance.
Fair enough.
the simplest, minimal solution is the one to aim for - IMO swapping the switch. Fitting a PIR and an override for it is already moving too far from the simple.

I'm surprised that "back then" the light was still working. Many years ago but not as far as "back then" I left the loft lights on for several months. By the time I found it both incandescent bulbs had burnt out. These days of course I have florescent lights in the loft which tend to last in such circumstances.
I suppose that incandescent bulbs run 24/7 must eventually burn out, but it is/was pretty unusual to have one fail whilst 'on' - it is/was nearly always a switch-on surge that represents the 'last straw'. I therefore imagine that the life when run continuously can be pretty long.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose that incandescent bulbs run 24/7 must eventually burn out, but it is/was pretty unusual to have one fail whilst 'on' - it is/was nearly always a switch-on surge that represents the 'last straw'. I therefore imagine that the life when run continuously can be pretty long.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. One place where I once worked the stores were mostly lit with fluorescents but with 2 incandescents at one end, all left on 24/7. In general the incandescents failed after about 6 weeks (1000 hours approx). There may have been odd switching operations, but it would appear they can fail whilst on.

In general the incandescents failed after about 6 weeks (1000 hours approx). There may have been odd switching operations, but it would appear they can fail whilst on.
Yes, as I said, they will inevitably fail eventually, even if never switched off. The event I reported was over half a century ago, when I was a kid, so I don't know any details. I don't even know for sure that the story I was told was true - it could have been exaggerated!

Much more recently, I personally left a CFL in a loft on for several weeks.

Kind Regards, John

The 'cannot be trusted' is not new. I remember my grandfather discovering that he had left a light on in his 'beach hut' or somesuch (I didn't even know that such things came with electricity, particularly back then!) for an entire winter!

Kind Regards, John
Then I was at school we made a scale model of the 'old building', we carefully measured every room and started drawing. It soon became apparent we needed to include the thickness of the walls too and carefully measured those wherever possible.
Try as we may we could not account for fifteen feet and concluded there was another room in between the deputy headmasters office and the old sports changing room.
It took a lot of convincing but eventually the caretaker/handyman removed some bricks from a wall and a room came into view, complete with furniture and 2 lit wall lights. The bulbs were 200V and seemed quite happy running on 240V for the last 25 years or so that the deputy head had worked there.
It was cleared, rewired, a door installed from the changing room and it became a 6th form common room.

Try as we may we could not account for fifteen feet and concluded there was another room in between the deputy headmasters office and the old sports changing room. It took a lot of convincing but eventually the caretaker/handyman removed some bricks from a wall and a room came into view, complete with furniture and 2 lit wall lights. The bulbs were 200V and seemed quite happy running on 240V for the last 25 years or so that the deputy head had worked there.
I have a very similar story, albeit there were no light bulbs involved...

... back in the early 70s, a few months after a brand new hospital had (partially) opened, the Theatre Superintendent came to realise that she was meant to be in charge of N operating theatres (can't remember exactly the number), but only had N-1, coupled with the fact that there was a missing number in the sequence of those she had (i.e. they were labelled Theatre 1, Theatre 2, Theatre 3 and Theatre 5 - or something like that) (she had previously assumed that had been just a 'quirk' or a 'typo'!).

Again after a lot of measuring, studying of plans and arguments, someone was persuaded to remove a few bricks - to reveal the missing operating theatre - fully tiled, fitted and largely equipped!

One just has to wonder about the person who put the last few bricks in (in both your and my cases)!!

Kind Regards, John

We found a hidden room too in a place near biggin hill, there was also an underground tunnel, we was told it was a "Preist hole" cannot remember the full details. Bit older than the 70s though.
We also do an old art deco cinema in clacton, never seen it but inside apparently theres an old barbers shop, shut up and untouched for years.
Im sure I read theres a light bulb on test somewhere thats still lit after donkeys years

I have a very similar story, albeit there were no light bulbs involved...

One just has to wonder about the person who put the last few bricks in (in both your and my cases)!!

Kind Regards, John
In my case an extension had been added across the door and bricks had been inserted into the reveal across the original locked door, even the key was still in the lock from the bricked side.

In a lot of commercial new builds, internal stud walls are often put up without openings with a view to positioning doors afterwards. Voids are frequently created this way. It all seems counterintuitive at the time.

On a job I couldn't find an AHU, cables that led to it just disappeared into walls in different places.
Eventually we found the room it was originally in had a very high ceiling and when it was sold to the neighbours a new reinforced concrete floor was added some 4-5 feet higher to align with their existing floor level, with absolutely no access to the AHU, in that case the ply shuttering and the forming timbers were still there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back