Adding inhibitor to an open CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can a inhibitor be added to an open CH system that feeds from the hot water feed tank?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it feeds from the only tank in your loft, then no 'cos you have primatic cylinder.

Do you have a big tank of cold which feeds the hw cylinder, and a small header tank, usually warm, for the heating system?

If so you CAN just tip inhibitor into the small tank and it'll find its way in, but rather slowly, because as the water cools and expands it does go up and down the pipe. Much better to first stop water entering header tank, clean the grot out of the tank if there is any, drain water from a drain cock low on the system until the tank is just empty, pour your inhibitor in, drain some more water to get the stuff down the pipe, then let the header tank inlet run again. Ideally needs 2 people on the phone to each other, but one can manage!

-------
Edit, after NB's answer...
er... :oops: if you really meant exactly what you asked, then his "no" would about cover it!

Thanks for the advise.

Just the one tank with one supply and one feed. The feed must split after leaving the cold tank to supply the CH/Hot tank. I think the CH was put in after the house was built due to external pipes and a solid floor downstairs.

As it uses the same tank it sounds like I can't add inhibitor. How will this effect the new rad I have just installed? It did mention that inhibitor should be used. Should I be concerned or does it just mean that the life of the rad will be shorter?

Cheers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you are worried then you can convert to a regular system and add inhibitor to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back