Inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a combi boiler system installed. We previously had a free standing boiler open vented system, this system had inhibitor added to the water, however, the installer of our new system, said that it is not necessary to add inhibitor to a closed vented system. Is this true? If I need to add inhibitor how do I enter it into the system?

Sponsored Links
Dear oh dear oh dear, I dont like the sound of your installer at all, if he hasn't fitted all to the Benchmarlk log book which came with the boiler and to current regulations you may find yourself without the manufacteres warranty,
I should check his credentials and ask for his corgi number and number of his corgi card serial id number and check which areas of gas he is entitled to work in which are ticked on the back, sounds like a cowboy, system should be flushed using a chemical cleanser and rust inhibitor added on completion, ask him to fill in the Benchmark log book and see what he writes in it, let us know as it will be interesting to most of us here.
Oh yea, usually add inhibitor via a radiator or filling loop before filling system.

He may be right, but boiler manufacturers think otherwise. If you have just spent a lot of hundreds having a new boiler, and of course he flushed the system? Then a few more pounds for inhibitor is worth the expense. It won't do any harm, but to say it's not needed is so tight fisted as to be laughable.

You can put it into a radiator or in where the filling loop connects.

The benchmark log book has been ticked No for " has an inhibitor been used", he has used Feraquest to cleanse the system.
As for check his credentials, we got his details off the Corgi site!! which I must say I have now absolutely no faith in. The comment that he is a "cowboy" is an understatement, the missing inhibitor is one of 19 serious to critical errors he has made. No isolation switch fitted, terminal block used to run spur off ringmain to a fused spur( 1 mm cable used between ringmain and spur!), 3amp terminal block (wrapped with a cursory amount of black tape ) used to connect 2 wires, one to thermastat the other to unit mains plug( he did this because he had broken the mains plug and had to reroute the cable due to initially placing the thermastat in the bedroom not the hall as was our requirement), no earth bonding, etc...etc... the list goes on. We have contacted an electrian who is in the process of correcting the "deathtrap", however, I am now concerned ref the Gas fitting, having no faith whatsoever in Corgi how can I find a reliable non cowboy engineer to check out his work?

Sponsored Links
Report him to the trading standards office. Then I suppose you could let him know.

I believe you can call corgi in free. Depends on their attitude - but if they want to they WILL find something wrong!

seems when there is a case to answer no gas fitters can be found ? is this a riddor case or not one of u must have an idea at the very least his electrical work is in doubt i for one would ask a gas fitter in to check this one but i bet if you tell them what u are after they will decline as not many will point the finger at an offender for fear of reprisals ?
or am i being paranoid

First, I don't do gas, only oil, but if CORGI work anything like OFTEC, they won't go running after someone because a competitor tries to drop them in it. It has to come from a customer, or perhaps some other organisation.

It is not a gas fitters place to report other fitters, they didn't have the contract, that's for the customer to do. There is the trading standards office too.

You ARE being paranoid, reprisals aren't the problem, but you can hardly expect courts to believe the information given by an industry worker is guaranteed unbiased, when the customer askes them to come in to report on "a bodged job done by a cowboy".

It's why we have a court system

u are wrong it is the gas fitters job to report all ridderable jobs he comes across and i dont know many that would have the botttle to stand up in court do you ie kithchen fitter leave and open ended pipe and tells the house holder not to turn the gas on till hob is fitted now when the gas fitter comes across this one ( 100 ) u say he has no llegal obligation to report it ? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back