how to add inhibitor to normal vented ch system (f/e tank)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have normal ch set up with f and e tank in the loft.

ive been running without inhibitor for a cuple of weeks after the plumber changed my pump (he never added inhibitor after refilling!)

how do i add inhibitor without draining the whole system....like how do i just drain the fe tank enough to add inhibitor in?

does the f and e tank have an on off stopcock on it or do i just shut off the mains stopcock in the kitchen?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Turn off water mains
Open the drain cock and remove a bucket of water then close drain cock
Add inhibitor to expansion tank
Turn on water mains
Bleed all rads and after 48hrs of use.

Andy

mu plumber once said that my system had about 6 to 7 litres of water in the whole system....how many litres shud i drain?

mu plumber once said that my system had about 6 to 7 litres of water in the whole system....how many litres shud i drain?

Do yo only have one radiator ?
Hold the ball valve with a piece of wire or string, open drain cock until the flow dies down, tighten drain cock add inhibitor release ball valve and vent as necessary.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice guys

just realised that im due to get a new radiator fitted in mid april time.....will it be safe for my system and ok to run it without inhibitor until after the radiator is fitted in april (the system was drained 2 weeks ago but no inhibitor added when valve was changed).

will it rust and corrod bad between now and then or am i ok to leave it (water runs clear just now when venting)

I know I'm only an ex-counterboy, but why would he drain the system to just change the pump?
Surely that's why pump valves were invented, to negate the need to drain down.

when you say drain a bucket load does that mean til the feeder tank is completely empty and no more?....wud that mean if the tank is empty the whole system is empty too?

lastly is it better taking off mains from main stopcock or tying up ballvalve as some people do?

sorry fir the dumb questions but this forum is the best for this stuff!

I know I'm only an ex-counterboy, but why would he drain the system to just change the pump?
Surely that's why pump valves were invented, to negate the need to drain down.

Commonly known in the trade as a 'counter rat' with limited knowledge & even less in-stock.

Drain enough water from FnE so that the inhibitor gets into rads and dosnt just sit in FnE tank,
you can turn off water from mains if you like but you wont have any mains water in the rest of the house while your adding the inhibitor.

when you say drain a bucket load does that mean til the feeder tank is completely empty and no more?....wud that mean if the tank is empty the whole system is empty too?

lastly is it better taking off mains from main stopcock or tying up ballvalve as some people do?

sorry fir the dumb questions but this forum is the best for this stuff!

Now it's mostly done by adding it into a radiator rather than the F&E tank.
Drain enough water off the radiator & add the inhibitor in. Then you can ensure it goes directly into the system. Tongs ya bas!!

Not being rude dear boy, just factual.
A bit of a generalisation, but I'll let you off. ;)

No-one's answered the question: did he need to drain down, or could he have just isolated the pump with the valves?

(Did he drain the whole system. The OP doesn't actually say, but "ive been running without inhibitor for a cuple of weeks......" infers that he did.)

Not being rude dear boy, just factual.
A bit of a generalisation, but I'll let you off. ;)

No-one's answered the question: did he need to drain down, or could he have just isolated the pump with the valves?

(Did he drain the whole system. The OP doesn't actually say, but "ive been running without inhibitor for a cuple of weeks......" infers that he did.)

I think I answered the question dear boy, I'm sure even the hard of thinking could add the inhibitor via a radiator. Loads of videos on Utube. My auld mate Tomplum for one & then there's James @ Plumbingparts, if he's not farting around playing Cricket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back